This rich and cheesy Potato Ham Broccoli Cheese Casserole is always a crowd pleaser. In it, new potatoes, broccoli florets and smoky ham are all smothered in an easy cheese sauce then baked until the flavors marry. Serve it as a main dish or a side dish and it will be the star of your next potluck meal. This New Potato Ham And Broccoli Cheese Casserole is simple down home goodness on a plate.
Easy Potato Ham Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe
My family loves a one dish meals and this new potato, ham and broccoli casserole is easy to put together and it's filling. When you cook for boys as I do, that's the magical combination. This casserole would be a great option to serve at a family, church, or office gathering because the flavor combination is always a crowd pleaser and it doubles as an entrée or cheesy side dish. I often say, food doesn't have to be fancy to be good and this is a perfect example. It's one of those casseroles that you make because it's filled with ingredients that are simple to find plus it's satisfying.
How to Make the Best Potato Ham Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Potato Ham and Broccoli Cheese Recipe: Red skinned potatoes, diced ham, broccoli florets, butter, evaporated milk, can of broccoli cheese soup, Velveeta cheese, Dijon, dry buttermilk Ranch dressing mix, black pepper, salt, green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and French fried onions for the top.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, whisk and rubber spatula or spoon.
- The potatoes and broccoli are not cooked prior to adding to the remaining ingredients. In light of this, the baking time is extended. Test the potatoes with a tip of a knife baking until they're tender and fully cooked.
- Most of the seasoning in this dish is in the buttermilk Ranch dressing mix. You may still need to add salt and black pepper to your personal taste. If you'd like to add heat, add a few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the cheese sauce ingredients.
- You can store leftover Potato Ham Broccoli Cheese Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
- You can also freeze after baking for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes or just until fully heated through.
More Broccoli Recipes to Make
This classic combo of broccoli and cheese is always a welcome sight on the table regardless of the occasion. It's no surprise that Panera's broccoli cheese soup is so popular with patrons. More broccoli recipes you may also like to make:
- Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is made with sharp white cheddar cheese for the ultimate flavor.
- Roasted Panko Parmesan Broccoli makes an elegant side dish.
- Broccoli Cheddar Gratin is made from scratch.
- Asian Ramen Noodle Broccoli Slaw is full of crunch!
- Broccoli Cheese Chicken and Rice is a one dish meal.
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread will have the kiddos gladly eating their vegetables.
- Air Fryer Broccoli from Well Plated.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Potato Ham Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 lbs red skinned potatoes cut into bite size cubes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 lb cubed ham
- 1 16 oz block 2% Velveeta cheese cubed
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk divided use
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 10 ¾ oz can broccoli cheese soup
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 0.4 oz package buttermilk Ranch dressing mix i.e. Hidden Valley
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 medium chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided use
- 1 cup crushed french fried onions
- 2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Clean and separate the broccoli florets into small bite sized pieces. Blot the broccoli dry with a paper towel to remove any excess water.
- Cube the red potatoes into bite sized pieces leaving the peel intact.
- For the Velveeta, melt in a microwave safe bowl with ½ of the evaporated milk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining evaporated milk, melted butter, broccoli cheese soup, buttermilk Ranch dressing mix, Dijon mustard. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste. Add Velveeta mixture, mix well.
- To the bowl add diced potato, ham, broccoli florets, green onions and 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly coated. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Remove the from the oven, stir and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese and French fried onions.
- Return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes on the counter to allow the sauce to thicken before serving garnished with parsley.
Most of the seasoning in this dish is in the buttermilk dressing mix. You may still need to add salt and black pepper to your taste. If you'd like to add heat, add a few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the sauce base.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 610kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 2478mg | Potassium: 956mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 953IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 273mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Can you make and freeze for a meal train?
You could likely freeze this after it's fully cooked but not before. The potatoes are raw so I wouldn't recommend freezing without baking first.
Have you ever done this in a crockpot?
I haven't but, would love to know how it goes, if you try it.
Can you use frozen broccoli
This is best with fresh broccoli. If you use frozen, thaw but don't steam prior to adding to the casserole.
Would love to try some of your recipes but some ingredients not available in Uk ie soup
and cheese sauce
That can be a challenge. My guess is, you may have similar items that could be adapted. Thanks so much for visiting!
Omg just made this and so easy and so delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
So happy you loved this one we do, too!