Made with sharp white cheddar cheese this Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is comfort food in a bowl. A steamy bowl of soup is guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out on almost any day but, in particular when the weather turns cool. This creamy broccoli cheddar soup is a one pot meal and doesn't require a bechamel sauce to make it because I use cream cheese to thicken the creamy and smooth base. Bonus, it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I love to visit with friends at my local Panera and when there I most often order broccoli cheese soup and a side salad. You can serve this soup in a bread bowl, too if desired. Warm and filling, it is guaranteed to hit the comfort food spot. It's a terrific way to get the kiddos to eat more vegetables, and it absolutely requires some sort of warm bread on the side for dipping. Serve it with a big bowl of salad and a basket filled with garlic bread or copycat Red Lobster biscuits and it's a feast fit for a king or queen.
Other Broccoli Cheddar Recipes to Try
Don't just stop here, there are many ways to en joy this glorious combination of flavors. Dishes like this broccoli cheddar bacon pizza from Gather for Bread and broccoli cheddar chicken pot pie from the MSSK recipe index.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cup broccoli florets chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 8 oz container regular or light onion and chive cream cheese
- 3 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 2 cup half & half or light cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch dissolve in half & half
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, cook the onion and carrot in the butter and a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high for 5 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken stock and broccoli florets to the pot. Sprinkle with additional salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until the broccoli is fork tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until dissolved. Add the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir over medium-low heat until combined.
- Dissolve ¼ cup cornstarch in 2 cups of cold half & half until completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat then mix into the soup. Bring to a bubbling boil over medium-high stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Cook just until thickened. If you prefer a thinner soup add more stock or half & half until the desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust the salt and pepper before serving.