These Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks are flavor packed with the bonus of easy preparation, to boot. They can be enjoyed as a main dish or, as a flavorful side dish alongside your favorite entrees.
Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Cabbage, much like cauliflower, can sometimes be overlooked when it comes to delicious dishes to make. These cabbage steaks are an elegant option for serving what's considered to be a somewhat ordinary vegetable. It's lower carb, packed with flavor and roasting brings out the natural sweetness.
Helpful Tips for Making Cabbage Steaks
- You can adapt this recipe using any size head of cabbage. Keep in mind, larger cabbage steaks may take a few minutes longer to bake. Likewise, smaller slices may take less time. Adjust accordingly.
- Take a moment to trim the core of the cabbage so, it's level for cutting. Use a large, sharp knife to slice.
- To lighten this dish up further, use cooking spray or an oil spritzer in place of olive oil.
- The amount of oil can be adapted to your personal taste.
- There's a generous amount of garlic in this dish as we're huge garlic fans. You can use more, or less.
- At the end of roasting, you can turn the oven to broil to char the leaves further. The charred pieces have a slight sweetness that enhances the overall flavor.
- I recommend cutting the slices about 1 inch thick. Remember, the cabbage will shrink while roasting.
Other Cabbage Recipes to Make
Cabbage is inexpensive, packed with nutrients such as vitamin C, magnesium and fiber just to name a few. You can read more about that here on Web MD.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Chow Chow
- Southern Cole Slaw
- Braised Cabbage with Potatoes and Smoked Sausages
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- ¼-1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 2-4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Liberally spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Trim stem of cabbage to level. Cut cabbage into 1 inch slices from top to bottom, around the core, leaving internal core intact. (You can cut out the core but, it helps the leaves stay together while slicing.)
- In a small bowl mix together oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley and garlic. Mix well.
- Brush liberally on all sides of cabbage steaks. Sprinkle tops with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotate pan. Continue to roast another 15-20 minutes until golden, lightly charred and fork tender. You can broil for a few minutes to char further, if desired.
- Serve immediately.