These Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks are flavor packed with the bonus of easy preparation, to boot. They can be enjoyed as a main dish or as a flavorful side dish alongside your favorite entrées.
Easy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
Cabbage, much like cauliflower, can sometimes be overlooked when it comes to delicious dishes to make. These cabbage steaks are an elegant option for serving what’s considered to be a somewhat ordinary vegetable. It’s lower carb, packed with flavor and roasting brings out the natural sweetness.
How to Make the Best Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Cabbage Steaks: One medium-large head green cabbage, olive oil, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic cloves and chopped Italian parsley.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large sheet pan, sharp knife and cutting board, small bowl, pastry brush, measuring cups and spoons.
- You can adapt this recipe using any size head of cabbage. Keep in mind, larger cabbage steaks may take a few minutes longer to bake. Likewise, smaller slices may take less time. Adjust accordingly.
- Take a moment to trim the core of the cabbage so, it’s level for cutting. Use a large, sharp knife to slice.
- To lighten this dish up further, use cooking spray or an oil spritzer in place of olive oil.
- The amount of oil can be adapted to your personal taste.
- There’s a generous amount of garlic in this dish as we’re huge garlic fans. You can use more, or less according to your personal taste and that of your family.
- At the end of roasting the cabbage steaks you can turn the oven to broil to char the leaves further. The charred pieces have a slight sweetness that enhances the overall flavor.
- I recommend cutting the slices about 1 inch thick. Keep in mind that the cabbage will shrink while roasting.
- Store Roasted Cabbage Steaks chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a non stick skillet on the stovetop over medium heat or chop and toss with smoked sausage and diced cooked potatoes for a delicious round two meal.
More Easy Cabbage Recipes to Make
Cabbage is inexpensive, packed with nutrients such as vitamin C, magnesium and fiber just to name a few. You can read more about that here on Web MD.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls takes the fuss out of classic cabbage rolls.
- This Cheesy Cabbage Casserole is full flavored.
- Chow Chow is a Southern relish served atop a bowl of pinto beans, hot dogs or as a side dish.
- Cozy up to a bowl of Southern Style Cabbage Soup for supper.
- Southern Cole Slaw is finely chopped and ready to serve with hot dogs, barbecue and more.
- Braised Cabbage with Pork Chops and Apple is a one pan meal.
- Braised Cabbage with Potatoes and Smoked Sausages is comfort food done right!
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 2-4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Liberally spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Trim stem of cabbage to level. Cut cabbage into 1 inch slices from top to bottom, around the core, leaving internal core intact. (You can cut out the core but, it helps the leaves stay together while slicing.)
- In a small bowl mix together oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley and garlic. Mix well.
- Brush liberally on all sides of cabbage steaks. Sprinkle tops with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotate pan. Continue to roast another 15-20 minutes until golden, lightly charred and fork tender. You can broil for a few minutes to char further, if desired.
- Serve immediately.