Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake takes everything we love about traditional pineapple upside down cake and presents it in a different way. Sweet pineapple, maraschino cherries and pecan halves line the pan and are smothered with a buttery brown sugar mixture, topped with cake batter and baked. After cooling, serve a slice with a dollop of whipped cream and additional cherries. It's glorious.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a Family Tradition
When we were kids, we all got to choose our favorite flavor of birthday cake to celebrate. My older brother requested pineapple upside down cake every single year for his birthday and each year My Mom made it. It sealed our family's love of this vintage pineapple cake and we can't eat it now without thinking of those birthday celebrations. Looking for an updated way to make desserts like this one with a twist, my bundt pan came to the rescue. Using crushed pineapple makes this cake much easier to slice and serve, and the flavor makes it even easier to eat.
Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake a Riff on a Classic Cake
It's the greatest compliment and reward for the cook when their efforts are appreciated, isn't it? This cake always garners "oohs" and "aahs" from my hungry dessert eaters making it well worth the small amount of effort it takes to prepare. .
Other Pineapple Desserts to Add to the Menu
Other Bundt Cake Recipes to Make
- Scratch made Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake
- Buttery Caramel Bundt Cake recipe
- Chocolate Turtle Bundt Cake a decadent cake everyone will love
- Citrus infused Lemon Butter Bundt Cake
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
- 8 pecan halves
- 8 maraschino cherries plus additional for garnishing
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 8 oz crushed pineapple well drained
- 1 15.25 oz butter cake mix
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk or 1  oz sour cream
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond or rum extract
- 2 cups fresh whipped cream or 1  oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a bundt pan with baking spray.
- Arrange the pecan halves and maraschino cherries over the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Pour the butter-brown sugar mixture around the pecans and cherries.
- After draining pineapple, pat dry with a paper towel. Spread evenly over the brown sugar, pecans and cherries.
- Beat together the cake mix, all-purpose flour, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and almond or rum extracts. Beat for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Gently pour over the ingredients in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely in the pan before turning over onto a serving platter.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional maraschino cherries, if desired.