Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake – Pineapple upside down cake is considered a summertime classic for many. For my family, it’s a year round dessert. I have made it in the more traditional way of a sheet cake, using slices of pineapple. However, I developed this bundt cake version and it has become a real favorite of mine. It stores easily and it looks so very pretty on the dessert table.
I like to fill the center with whipped cream and garnish it with additional maraschino cherries, just to make it pretty. It’s mighty tasty with a dollop of the whipped cream, too. My brother requested pineapple upside down cake every year for his birthday and every year My Mom made it, so our family’s love for this cake goes way back. I often look for different ways of making desserts like this one in a different shape or form, and it always garners “oohs” and “aahs” from my hungry eaters. It’s the greatest compliment and reward for the cook when their efforts are appreciated, isn’t it? Using crushed pineapple makes this cake much easier to slice and serve, and even easier to eat.
Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 pecan halves
- 8 maraschino cherries plus additional for garnishing
- 1  oz crushed pineapple well drained
- 1 [16.25] oz butter cake mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk or 1  oz sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond or rum extract
- 2 cups fresh whipped cream or 1  oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a bundt pan with baking spray.
- Mix together the melted butter and brown sugar. Set aside..
- Arrange the pecan halves and maraschino cherries over the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the butter-brown sugar mixture around the pecans and cherries.
- After draining the pineapple, pat dry with a paper towel. Spread evenly over the brown sugar, pecans and cherries.
- Beat together the cake mix, all-purpose flour, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and almond or rum extracts. Beat for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Gently pour over the ingredients in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely in the pan before turning over onto a serving platter.
- Garnish with whipped cream and additional maraschino cherries, if desired.