This gooey Praline Pecan Monkey Bread is a Southern style spin off of classic monkey bread. It features rounds of unbaked dough, that are quartered then coated with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar. After assembling in a Bundt pan they’re smothered with a buttery praline sauce filled with toasted pecans. It’s truly a one-of-a-kind sensation.
Easy Praline Pecan Monkey Bread Recipe
I can still remember my first ooey gooey taste of monkey bread. It tasted like a bite of heaven, I thought to myself. Today, I still have the same reaction. After all, small bites of dough rolled in cinnamon and sugar, and smothered with a buttery caramel sauce couldn’t possibly be called anything else. This variation is unapologetically indulgent and makes the perfect sweet ending to a casual pizza party or a fancy brunch. How to make the best Pecan Praline Monkey Bread: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Rolls – Allow frozen rolls to thaw on the counter for 15-20 minutes then use a sharp knife to quarter each roll.
- Pecans – Spread the pecan pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven. Set aside to cool.
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating – Coat the Rolls with granulated sugar and cinnamon in a large plastic storage bag.
- Assemble – Sprinkle 1/3 of the toasted pecans on the bottom of a tube pan coated with cooking spray. Next, layer with half of the rolls. Repeat with 1/3 pecans and a final layer of rolls. Sprinkle any cinnamon and sugar left in the bag over the top. Finish with final 1/3 of pecans.
- Make Sauce – In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan melt together brown sugar, butter and heavy cream over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla or rum extract. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the praline sauce evenly over the rolls. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake – Uncover rolls and bake in a preheated 350 °F oven for 35-40 minutes until golden. Rest for 5-10 minutes before carefully inverting onto a platter.
- Sprinkle the top with sea salt and enjoy.
How to Make the BEST Praline Pecan Monkey Bread Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Praline Pecan Monkey Bread: Frozen dinner roll dough (i.e. Rhodes or similar) melted butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, toasted chopped pecans, heavy cream and ground cinnamon.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A sharp knife and cutting board, sheet pan for toasting the pecans, measuring cups and spoons, large tube pan.
- Traditionally, monkey bread would begin with quartered refrigerated biscuit dough. Just like my savory version of pull apart rolls garlic Parmesan pull apart bread, I begin this recipe with rounds of frozen yeast rolls. This is dough that is unbaked, look for raw rounds of frozen dough in the freezer section of your local market or grocery store.
- Slightly thaw the rolls makes them easier to quarter. Don’t let them go too far or you’ll end up with a soft dough that’s beginning to rise and difficult to cut.
- Why no canned biscuits? I’ve found that dinner rolls give a more bread-like texture and take this monkey bread to another level.
- Set aside the praline pecan sauce to cool just slightly before pouring over the rolls. Don’t let it cool too much or it won’t be pourable.
- I highly recommend taking the time to lightly toast the pecans for the best flavor. It only takes minutes to do and could even be done in advance to save time.
- Store baked Praline Pecan Monkey Bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in single serving portions in the microwave just as you would any bread. The praline pecan sauce will solidify when chilled but will melt when reheated.
More Sweet and Savory Pull Apart Bread Recipes to Make
- Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Bread is a fan favorite.
- Pull Apart Cinnamon Sugar Bread Sticks are perfection served with a side of cream cheese dip.
- Pull Apart Pepperoni Bread Sticks dipped in warm marinara are always a winning snack!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pull Apart Rolls is a viral Pinterest sensation year after year!
- Cinnamon Roll French Bread is sure to become a family favorite.
- Easy Pimento Cheese Beer Bread is packed with flavor.
- For more snacking inspiration, checkout my Parade article featuring 12 Creative Takes On Monkey Bread.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Praline Pecan Monkey Bread
- 1 cup pecan pieces toasted & divided
- 20 frozen yeast rolls thawed but still cold, quartered [I used Rhodes]
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla or rum extract
- sea salt optional
- To Prep the Rolls: Place the frozen yeast rolls in a single layer on a platter. Allow to thaw on the counter for 15-20 minutes. Use a sharp knife and quarter each roll. (If the rolls are slightly frozen in the middle they're much easier to quarter.)
- Toast the Pecans: Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Spread the pecan pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely
- To Assemble: Spray a tube pan with cooking spray.
- In a large plastic storage bag sift together 2/3 cup of granulated sugar and 1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon. Add the rolls and seal the bag. Toss until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the toasted pecans on the bottom of the tube pan and top with 1/2 half of the rolls. Repeat with 1/3 pecans and a final 1/2 rolls. Sprinkle any cinnamon and sugar left in the bag over the top. Finish with final 1/3 of pecans.
- To Make the Praline Sauce: In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan melt brown sugar, butter and heavy cream over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla or rum extract. The mixture will be hot, handle carefully. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Pour sauce evenly over the rolls in the pan. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- To Bake: Uncover rolls and place into a preheated 350 °F oven for 35-40 minutes until golden. Rest for 5-10 minutes before carefully inverting onto a platter.
- Sprinkle the top with sea salt if desired, then pull apart and enjoy.