Easy Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe
How to Make the Best Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Pound Cake: All purpose flour, granulated sugar light brown sugar, baking powder, salt, one box pumpkin spice instant pudding mix, pumpkin puree, large eggs, vanilla extract, butter and cream cheese. You’ll also need chopped toasted pecans.
- For the cream cheese frosting you’ll need: Softened plain cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A hand mixer or stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons and an angel food pan for baking. A large silicone spatula for scraping the batter into the pan and for scrape the sides of the mixing bowl while making the batter. You’ll also need a baking pan or toasting the pecans.
- This recipe will make a larger cake, so I recommend that you use an angel food pan, and not a bundt pan to prevent it from spilling over while baking. You can use a pan with or without a removable bottom, of course. A cake pan with a removable bottom is my preference, as it makes removing the cake from the pan much easier.
- If you’re unable to find pumpkin spice instant pudding, don’t panic. You can adapt this recipe adding 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice and one 3.4 ounce box of instant vanilla pudding to the dry ingredients, instead.
- Bring the butter, cream cheese and eggs to room temperature before making the cake batter for the best results.
- Use 100% pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe.
- The frosting for this cake is meant to be thick and decadent. You can make it thinner if you like, by adding more cream until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- In the event you’d like to make this cake in advance, it freezes very well. Should you choose to do so, bake, cool and freeze without the frosting. Frost after thawing for the best result.
- Store Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Pound Cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months. When freezing, wait and glaze just before serving.
More Southern Style Pumpkin Spice Desserts to Make
More fall favorites for my family is my Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush and Pumpkin Spice Fudge. Your family will also love this impressive Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle. If you’re a cupcake fan, you may like to checkout this recipe for mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes or these Pumpkin Doughnuts from King Arthur Flour.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 4 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1 3.4 oz box pumpkin spice instant pudding See Cook's note
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup butter (salted or unsalted) softened
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup 100% canned pumpkin puree
- 6 large eggs
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- heavy cream or half and half for thinning
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecan or walnuts for garnishing optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Generously butter and flour an angel food pan or spray with baking spray. (May use a pan with or without a removable bottom.)
- In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together the flour, pumpkin spice pudding, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese on high speed for 2 minutes. Lower the speed to medium-high and add granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Add the pumpkin whipping just until incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing thoroughly after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add dry ingredients. After all ingredients have been added, beat on medium speed for about 1 minute or just until fully combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan. If needed, bounce the cake pan on the counter to settle and release air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hours OR until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes back clean. Check at 1 hour and lay a piece of foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pan before carefully removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- May be served dusted with powdered sugar or a drizzle of caramel and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. See below for instructions to make cream cheese frosting.
- To make the frosting: Using an electric mixer whip together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fully combined, about 2 minutes. Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add powered sugar. May add cream 1 Tbsp at a time to thin for drizzling. Repeat until your desired thickness is reached.
- Frost cool cake and garnish with nuts. Store chilled.
- If you're unable to find pumpkin spice instant pudding, add 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice and one 3.4 oz box of instant vanilla pudding to the dry ingredients, instead.
- To toast nuts for garnishing: Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 6-8 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.