This gorgeous Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle will make a delectable edible centerpiece for your holiday dessert table. It's not only delicious but, pretty, too. It's made with layers of spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake layer and whipped cream drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with toasted pecans to add a bit of crunch. You can make it in advance and chill then set it out when you're ready for the sweetest ending to your holiday meal.
How to Make the Best Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle Recipe
I adore trifles in every flavor. They're simple to prepare in advance with the bonus of being attractive, too. It gives credence to the saying that we eat with our eyes first. In the case of this seasonal trifle, it's completely true.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle: One box of Spice flavored cake mix plus ingredients to prepare. (Oil, eggs, water) Softened cream cheese, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, frozen whipped topping (thawed) and chopped and toasted pecans. You'll also need caramel sauce or warm dulce de leche to drizzle on the layers and top and gingersnap cookies to garnish as pictured.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking pan to bake the cake, a sheet pan to toast the pecans, a hand mixer or stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, a knife and cutting board to cube the cake, a large spoon or silicone spatula and a 4 quart or larger trifle bowl.
- The cake portion of this trifle is prepared per the instructions on the box using the amounts called for eggs, water and vegetable oil. Cool the cake completely and cube prior to assembling the trifle.
- You can use a quality thick caramel sauce found with the ice cream toppings or use a jar or can of dulce de leche that's been warmed slightly until it's drizzle consistency.
- If you prefer to whip your own cream for this recipe you can. You'll need the equivalent of 6 cups of whipped cream. Please note, fresh whipped cream isn't as stable as Cool Whip so add the topping on the day you plan on serving the pumpkin spice trifle.
- Store leftover Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle
For Thanksgiving, a pumpkin trifle is a sweet alternative to serving pumpkin pie, if you're looking to serve fall flavors with a twist. It begins with a cake mix for ease of preparation and when assembled no one will know or care that there's a shortcut involved. Make this beauty in advance to give it ample time to chill, then enjoy the "ohs" and "aahs" when you set it out for serving. It's without question, a dessert showpiece.
More Southern Style Pumpkin Spice Desserts to Make
In the MSSK recipe index I also have trifle recipes that feature made-from-scratch cake layers in various flavors such as the ever popular Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle and Pecan Praline Caramel Trifle.You may also like to add these pumpkin spice goodies to your seasonal dessert menu:
- Pumpkin Cream Pie with Bourbon Whipped Cream will elevate this Thanksgiving classic.
- Pumpkin Spice Butter Cake is topped with whipped cream and drizzled with a bourbon praline sauce.
- Pumpkin Roll with Pecan Toffee Cream Cheese Swirl can be made in advance then sliced and served for dessert.
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins from The Cookie Rookie.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle
- 1 ¼ cup pecan pieces toasted and divided
- 1 15.25-oz box Spice cake mix plus eggs, water and oil to prepare
- 2 8-oz cream cheese softened
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 8-oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 16-oz caramel sauce i.e. Ghiradelli
- gingersnap cookies for garnishing optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecan pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toast for 6-8 minutes. Set aside ¼ cup to garnish the top. Cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cake per the package directions using the amount of eggs, oil and water called for on the box. Bake according to directions in a 13x9-inch baking pan. After baking cool completely then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, pumpkin, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Whip for 2 minutes or until smooth, light and fluffy. Fold in one 8-oz whipped topping by hand.
- To assemble, layer ⅓ cubed cake in the bottom of a large trifle bowl. Drizzle with ⅓ caramel sauce and sprinkle with ⅓ pecans. Top with ½ pumpkin cheesecake filling.
- Arrange ⅓ cake over pumpkin filling, drizzle with ⅓ caramel sauce and sprinkle with ⅓ pecans. Spread with one 8-oz whipped topping.
- Arrange final ⅓ cake over whipped topping, drizzle with final ⅓ caramel sauce and ⅓ pecans. Spread with remaining pumpkin cheesecake filling.
- Frost the top as desired with remaining 8-oz whipped topping. Arrange Ginger Snaps on top and sprinkle with additional pecans or a dusting of cinnamon. Chill thoroughly for several hours or overnight.
- Store leftovers chilled.