This gorgeous Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle will make a delectable edible centerpiece for your holiday dessert table. It’s not only delicious but, pretty, too. Made with layers of spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake pudding and whipped cream, it’s drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with toasted pecans to add a bit of crunch. You can make it in advance and chill then set it out when you’re ready for the sweetest ending to your holiday meal.
I adore trifles in every flavor. They’re simple to prepare in advance with the bonus of being attractive, too. It gives credence to the saying that we eat with our eyes first. In the case of this seasonal trifle, it’s completely true. It begins with a cake mix for ease of preparation and when assembled no one will know or care that there’s a shortcut involved. I also have trifles that feature made-from-scratch cake layers in various flavors such as the ever popular Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle and Pecan Praline Caramel Trifle. For Thanksgiving, a pumpkin trifle is a sweet alternative to serving pumpkin pie, if you’re looking to serve fall flavors with a twist. Make this beauty in advance to give it ample time to chill, then enjoy the “ohs” and “aahs” when you set it out for serving. It’s without question, a dessert showpiece.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Trifle
- 1 1/4 cup pecan pieces toasted and divided
- 1 15.25-oz box Spice cake mix plus eggs, water and oil to prepare
- 2 8-oz cream cheese softened
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 8-oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 16-oz caramel sauce i.e. Ghiradelli
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecan pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer. Toast for 6-8 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup to garnish the top. Cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cake per the package directions using the amount of eggs, oil and water called for on the box. Bake according to directions in a 13x9-inch baking pan. After baking cool completely then cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, pumpkin, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Whip for 2 minutes or until smooth, light and fluffy. Fold in one 8-oz whipped topping by hand.
- To assemble, layer 1/3 cubed cake in the bottom of a large trifle bowl. Drizzle with 1/3 caramel sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 pecans. Top with 1/2 pumpkin cheesecake filling.
- Arrange 1/3 cake over pumpkin filling, drizzle with 1/3 caramel sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 pecans. Spread with one 8-oz whipped topping.
- Arrange final 1/3 cake over whipped topping, drizzle with final 1/3 caramel sauce and 1/3 pecans. Spread with remaining pumpkin cheesecake filling.
- Frost the top as desired with remaining 8-oz whipped topping. Arrange Ginger Snaps on top and sprinkle with additional pecans or a dusting of cinnamon. Chill thoroughly for several hours or overnight.
- Store leftovers chilled.