These cute as a button Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes frosted with a caramel cream cheese icing are irresistible. They’re the perfect two-bite size, and packed with Fall flavors. The dulce de leche cream cheese icing pairs beautifully with the flavors of pumpkin and spice. Serve them on your holiday desserts table and watch them disappear.
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Recipe
Many of the recipes I share are birthed from real life experiences. These mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are the perfect example of that fact. They begin with a spice cake mix that kick starts the whole process making it easy to pull together for bakers of all skill levels. No one will ever believe you started these cupcakes with a cake mix. How to make easy mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes:
- Cake – One 15.25 ounce box of Spice Cake Mix.
- Additional Ingredients for the Batter – All purpose flour, instant vanilla pudding mix and light brown sugar.
- Pumpkin – This recipe uses canned pureed pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling.
- Additional ingredients – Large eggs, melted butter and buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Frosting – Softened plain cream cheese, dulce de leche, softened butter, heavy cream vanilla and powdered sugar.
How to Make the BEST Mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes: One 15.25 ounce box of Spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, light brown sugar, all purpose flour, large eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and instant vanilla pudding.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Hand mixer or stand mixer, large bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, large rubber spatula or spoon, mini muffin pans and small scoop or teaspoon.
- Why add flour? The amount of product in a box of cake mix these days seems to be shrinking regularly. When I first developed this recipe, cake mixes were a standard 16.25 ounce. Due to the “shrinkage” of cake mixes I add additional dry ingredients to accommodate. It adds volume and stabilizes the batter.
- The pumpkin needed for this recipe is canned pumpkin puree you can find on the baking aisle of most grocery stores year-round.
- Instant vanilla pudding lends a beautiful flavor and texture to the pumpkin cupcakes.
- This recipe will easily make 70-80 mini cupcakes, so if you’re short on cupcake pans you may need to borrow a couple from a friend. Otherwise, bake in batches but always allow time for the pan to cool complately before filling again.
- A small cookie or ice cream scoop is super hand for dividing the batter between the wells of the min muffin pan.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with my recipe for Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Icing.
- Store frosted Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Pumpkin Desserts to Make
For more pumpkin desserts to love, you may find other recipes to try
- Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush is a seasonal spinoff of lush desserts.
- These Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes are cute as can be!
- Pumpkin Cake Roll with Pecan Toffee Cream Cheese Filling can be made in advance then frozen until you’re ready to serve it.
- Pumpkin Pie Crumble is spectacular served warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Handheld Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are a grab-n-go dessert option.
- Start your day with a stack of Pumpkin French Toast.
- Pumpkin Pie Punch from The Cookie Rookie.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 15.25 oz box Spice cake mix
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 batch Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Icing
- English toffee bits for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line miniature cupcake pans with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a whisk to sift together cake mix, flour, pudding mix and light brown sugar.
- To the bowl add pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat on until fully combined around 2 minutes.
- Using a small scoop or a teaspoon, fill each cup about 2/3 full.
- Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely
- Once cooled, frost the tops with Dulce de Leche Cream Cheese Icing. Garnish with toffee bits.
- Store mini pumpkin spice cupcakes chilled for up to 5 days.