This Frozen Banana Pudding Bombe is yet one more way to enjoy banana pudding in any way shape or form. I developed this recipe using a loaf pan and layered ingredients beginning with a chocolate ganache bottom, vanilla wafers, banana slices and vanilla pudding. It's then frosted with whipped cream and sprinkled with crushed vanilla wafers. It's a terrific warm weather dessert option and a fabulous way to make banana pudding in advance.
Easy Frozen Banana Pudding Bombe Recipe
As you know, fresh bananas oxidize fairly quickly so this cool dessert is perfect for those warm days when you need a little something to satisfy your sweet tooth. I added a chocolate layer to form a tasty "glue" and it also provides a stable foundation.
How to Make the Best Frozen Banana Pudding Bombe Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Banana Pudding Bombe: One box of vanilla wafers, one box instant vanilla pudding, one box instant banana cream pudding, whole milk, banana slices, chocolate chips and heavy cream to make the chocolate layer. You'll also need frozen whipped topping to frost the top and sides.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: a large 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, a hand mixer or a stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, a sharp knife and an offset spatula to spread the filling evenly into the pan and to frost the banana pudding bombe with whipped topping.
- To make the frozen banana pudding bombe easier to remove from the pan, run hot water on all sides of the loaf pan being extra careful not to allow the banana pudding itself to get wet. Dry thoroughly, then turn over onto a serving platter.
- To assemble, line a 9 x 4 x 5 inch loaf pan with wax paper or plastic wrap as smoothly as possible using one piece lengthwise and one crosswise. Leave 8 inch overhang or enough to fold over the top to cover. Start with crushed vanilla wafers and a layer of banana slices. Pour half of the pudding on top and repeat. The last layers will actually be the bottom when you turn the dessert over. After repeating using the third banana, pour the ganache over and spread from side to side. End with the 4th and final layer of vanilla wafer crumbs. Fold the wax paper over and freeze overnight.
- After removing from the pan to a platter, frost the top and sides with whipped topping and sprinkle with crushed vanilla wafers as a garnish. This isn't an outside dessert that can sit on dessert table for very long after all, it is a frozen treat.
- When serving indoors, which is what I recommend, you should remove it from the pan and frost with whipped cream an hour or so in advance. It is stable enough to sit out without any issues at all. In fact, it makes it easier to cut.
- Use a long sharp knife to cut into pieces and to gild the lily, have some extra warm ganache nearby in case your dessert eaters would like to drizzle it on top.
- Store tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 2 months.
More Southern Style Frozen Confections to Make
This easy frozen banana pudding bombe dessert is just one more fun way to enjoy my lifelong obsession with this Southern classic, banana pudding. More frozen dessert recipes you may like to try:
- Frozen Raspberry Pie is drizzled with warm melted chocolate.
- Red White and Blue Ice Cream Cake is ready for your next Patriotic celebration.
- Frozen Berry Fruit Salad can be served as a side dish or a dessert.
- Turtle Ice Cream Pie is party ready.
- Treat the family to a big bowl of no churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
- Chocolate Covered Banana Bites from Big Bear's Wife.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Frozen Banana Pudding Bombe
- 1 11 oz box vanilla wafers roughly crushed and divided
- 1 3.4 oz box instant banana cream pudding
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas sliced
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping
- Optional Chocolate drizzle:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with wax paper or plastic wrap. Straighten as smoothly as possible. Leave around 8 inches of overhang.
- Roughly crush the vanilla wafers and divided into 4 equal portions.
- Whip together the banana cream pudding, vanilla pudding, milk and vanilla extract until thickened but still pourable.
- To assemble, sprinkle ¼ of the vanilla wafers on the bottom of the dish. Top with 1 banana, sliced. Spread ½ of the banana pudding on top. Repeat. crushed vanilla wafers, sliced banana and the remaining pudding. Top with the 3rd layer of crushed vanilla wafers and the third layer of banana slices
- To finish, melt the chocolate chips and cream in the microwave in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Spread over the last layer of banana slices and sprinkle with the remaining vanilla wafer crumbs.
- Gently fold the wax paper over the top and secure. Freeze overnight.
- One hour before serving, Run warm water on the bottom and sides of the loaf pan. Do not let water get into the dessert.
- Unfold the wax paper, and place an oblong serving platter over the top. Flip the banana pudding bombe over and center on the serving platter. Carefully remove the wax paper.
- Frost the top and sides with whipped topping and garnish with crushed vanilla wafers 1 hour in advance.
- Slice and serve drizzled with additional warm chocolate ganache, if desired.
- To prepare the drizzle: Melt 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave with ½ cup of cream. Heat in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until completely smooth. Drizzle over each slice, if desired just before serving.
b) Set aside 2 vanilla wafers to crush and use for garnishing the top after frosting.
What is frizen whipped topping ? In Australia so i have not heard of it
You can substitute stabilized fresh whipped cream in the same amount.