This decadent Turtle Ice Cream Pie is the epitome of indulgence. It features layers of caramel ice cream, toasted pecans, dulce de leche and hot fudge. Garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and turtle candy, it's the ultimate fusion dessert.
Turtle Ice Cream Pie
Frozen desserts are the ultimate make-ahead dessert. They do sometimes require several steps to make, but, none of the steps are difficult. A few frozen goodies you'll find in the MSSK recipe index range from a frozen banana pudding bombe made in a loaf pan, to a chocolate drizzled fresh raspberry pie and an easy frozen berry fruit salad. Each one different yet, a crazy delicious way to cool down on a hot day.
Helpful Tips for Serving Frozen Desserts
As mentioned above, frozen desserts require several steps for the best end result. They aren't difficult but, there is a method to the madness.
- When layering desserts as in the case of this pie, it's important to allow freeing time between the layers, giving each level time to set.
- Warm the hot fudge and dulche de leche just until pourable but, not enough to melt the ice cream. A little softening of the ice cream is fine though, and should be expected.
- Scooping the ice cream makes it easier to spread without disturbing the crust.
- Allow a few minutes of stand time on the counter before removing the outer ring of the pan and attempting yo cut.
- To cut this pie, use a sharp knife dipped into warm water then dried using a soft cloth. Doing so, will help it glide through the layers more easily, Repeat dipping in warm water and drying between cuts, as needed.
- You can make your own hot fudge sauce and dulce de leche, if desired. However, for ease of preparation, use a quality prepared item from your local market. This is meant to be a fun dessert, don't stress.
- I find both cans and squeeze bottle versions, of dulce de leche at my local grocery stores on the Hispanic foods aisle. I also purchase it from time to time form stores such as Target and Walmart. You can see an example of prepared dulce de leche packaging here on Walmart.
- Drizzling with additional hot fudge and dulce de leche just before serving gives each piece the wow factor. Rest assured, it's equally delicious without it.
- This pie can be prepared up to 1 month in advance. Keep tightly wrapped while storing to keep it fresh.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Turtle Ice Cream Pie
- 1 ¾ cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 ½ cups pecan pieces toasted
- 1 13.4 oz can dulce de leche
- 1 15 oz jar hot fudge ice cream topping
- ½ cup heavy cream divided
- 1.5 quarts caramel swirl or salted caramel ice cream
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press crumbs firmly onto bottom and ½-3/4 inch up sides of pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or just until set. Cool completely.
- Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. While crust bakes, toast for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm dulce de leche with ¼ cup heavy cream, just until pourable. Likewise, in a separate bowl, melt together hot fudge sauce with ¼ cup cream in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth. Both should be just warm enough to pour, not hot.
- To assemble: Scoop ½ ice cream into cooled crust; spread evenly. Drizzle ice cream with ⅓ dulce de leche ⅓ cup hot fudge. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup pecans. Freeze 15 minutes or until ice cream is almost firm.
- Repeat layers starting with remaining caramel ice cream, ⅓ warmed dulce de leche, ⅓ hot fudge and ⅓ cup pecans. Return to the freezer. Reserve ⅓ caramel, ⅓ hot fudge and ⅓ pecans for serving. (Alternatively, you may opt to use ½ of each on 2 layers.)
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Allow to sit on counter for 5-10 minutes,then remove outer ring. Slice into desired size pieces and serve drizzled with warm reserved dulce de leche, hot fudge and pecans.
- Top with a dollop of whipped topping and garnish with a piece of turtle candy, if desired.
- May be made up to 1 month in advance. Store tightly wrapped in the freezer.