This decadent Turtle Ice Cream Pie is the epitome of indulgence. It features layers of caramel ice cream, toasted pecans, dulce de leche and hot fudge. Garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and turtle candy, it's the ultimate fusion dessert.
Turtle Ice Cream Pie
Frozen desserts are the ultimate make-ahead dessert. They do sometimes require several steps to make, but, none of the steps are difficult. A few frozen goodies you'll find in the MSSK recipe index range from a frozen banana pudding bombe made in a loaf pan, to a chocolate drizzled fresh raspberry pie and an easy frozen berry fruit salad. Each one different yet, a crazy delicious way to cool down on a hot day.
Helpful Tips for Serving Frozen Ice Cream Pies and Desserts
As mentioned above, frozen desserts require several steps for the best end result. They aren't difficult but, there is a method to the madness.
- When layering desserts as in the case of this pie, it's important to allow freezing time between the layers, giving each level time to set.
- Warm the hot fudge and dulche de leche just until pourable but, not enough to melt the ice cream. A little softening of the ice cream is fine though, and should be expected.
- Scooping the ice cream makes it easier to spread without disturbing the crust.
- Allow a few minutes of stand time on the counter before removing the outer ring of the pan and attempting yo cut.
More Pro Tips for Making Turtle Ice Cream Pie
- To cut this pie, use a sharp knife dipped into warm water then dried using a soft cloth. Doing so, will help it glide through the layers more easily, Repeat dipping in warm water and drying between cuts, as needed.
- You can make your own hot fudge sauce and dulce de leche, if desired. However, for ease of preparation, use a quality prepared item from your local market. This is meant to be a fun dessert, don't stress.
- I find both cans and squeeze bottle versions, of dulce de leche at my local grocery stores on the Hispanic foods aisle. I also purchase it from time to time form stores such as Target and Walmart. You can see an example of prepared dulce de leche packaging here on Walmart.
- Drizzling with additional hot fudge and dulce de leche just before serving gives each piece the wow factor. Rest assured, it's equally delicious without it.
- This pie can be prepared up to 1 month in advance. Keep tightly wrapped while storing to keep it fresh.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Turtle Ice Cream Pie
- 1 ¾ cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 ½ cups pecan pieces toasted
- 1 13.4 oz can dulce de leche
- 1 15 oz jar hot fudge ice cream topping
- ½ cup heavy cream divided
- 1.5 quarts caramel swirl or salted caramel ice cream
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press crumbs firmly onto bottom and ½-3/4 inch up sides of pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or just until set. Cool completely.
- Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. While crust bakes, toast for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm dulce de leche with ¼ cup heavy cream, just until pourable. Likewise, in a separate bowl, melt together hot fudge sauce with ¼ cup cream in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth. Both should be just warm enough to pour, not hot.
- To assemble: Scoop ½ ice cream into cooled crust; spread evenly. Drizzle ice cream with ⅓ dulce de leche ⅓ cup hot fudge. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup pecans. Freeze 15 minutes or until ice cream is almost firm.
- Repeat layers starting with remaining caramel ice cream, ⅓ warmed dulce de leche, ⅓ hot fudge and ⅓ cup pecans. Return to the freezer. Reserve ⅓ caramel, ⅓ hot fudge and ⅓ pecans for serving. (Alternatively, you may opt to use ½ of each on 2 layers.)
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Allow to sit on counter for 5-10 minutes,then remove outer ring. Slice into desired size pieces and serve drizzled with warm reserved dulce de leche, hot fudge and pecans.
- Top with a dollop of whipped topping and garnish with a piece of turtle candy, if desired.
- May be made up to 1 month in advance. Store tightly wrapped in the freezer.