This homestyle Ham and Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs is a spectacular dish ideal for serving at any meal. Cubes of sweet potatoes are sautéed in bacon drippings along with sweet onion and bell pepper then seasoned with a spicy sweet edge. Add cubes of smoked ham then top with eggs to round out the flavor combination. The caramelized sweet potatoes and the smoked ham are an insanely delicious flavor pairing with every bite.
Ham and Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs a Diner Favorite
When you use the term “hash” in a recipe it conjurers images of diners and roadside dives that aren’t fancy but, are typically hot spots for breakfast and brunch. Places like this usually have a standing room only availability. There’s often a very loyal clientele and a sense of community among the patrons. That’s a recipe for success in my mind and I love finding little tucked away hidden gems to visit.
More Potato Recipes to Add to the Menu
My boys love potatoes in any form so recipes like my sheet pan kielbasa and golden potato hash, skillet potato hash and baked eggs and skillet hash with zucchini and smoked sausages are some of their favorites. This skillet meal is the perfect opportunity to use leftover ham in a new way, and one we love to indulge in on those “breakfast for dinner” kind of days. You may also like to try this recipe for pan fried potatoes from Lauren’s Latest.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Ham and Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4-5 cups 1/2-inch cubed sweet potato About 2 large
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes more or less to your taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb cubed fully cooked smoked ham
- 6 large eggs
- fresh chives for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On the stove top in a 12-inch cast iron or similar oven safe skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain then crumble. Reserve 3 Tbsp drippings.
- Add the butter to the drippings and melt. Cook the diced onion and bell pepper in the drippings over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown. Add the garlic salt, paprika, red pepper flakes and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the sweet potato cubes to the skillet. Continue to cook over medium for 10-12 minutes or just until fork tender and beginning to caramelize. Add the cubed ham and mix well.
- Crack the eggs on top then transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the egg firmness is to your liking.
- Serve immediately garnished with chives and crumbled bacon.