I begin this recipe with a good quality boxed brownie mix, because the toppings make these so decadent, no one will know or care. If you have a favorite homemade recipe, try it with these toppings to change it up a little.
Rocky Road Brownie Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1 [18 oz] package chocolate chunk brownie mix plus ingredients to prepare [recommend: Ghiradelli]
- 1/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the slivered almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl prepare the brownies according to the instructions on the box, adding 1/3 cup of chocolate syrup. [tip: The syrup will make the brownies dense and chewy] Separate the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Prepare ganache: Melt the chocolate chips and cream together in the microwave until smooth. It's best to do this in 30 second intervals and pause periodically to stir like crazy! Drizzle the warm chocolate over each cupcake.
- Bake the brownie cupcakes for 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and quickly place 8-10 marshmallows on top of each brownie cupcake. Return them to the oven for another 2-3 minutes until the marshmallows begin to melt and brown.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately sprinkle the top of each cupcake with toasted slivered almonds.
- Drizzle with the warm chocolate ganache.
- Garnish with additional almonds, if desired. Serve warm.