These easy Rocky Road Brownie Cupcakes are a sweet handheld dessert topped with marshmallows, warm chocolate ganache and toasted almonds.
Easy Rocky Road Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
Gooey marshmallows, toasted almonds and chocolate ganache top these brownie cupcakes. It doesn't matter how creative I get with my baking experiments, there are times when the only thing that satisfies a sweet craving is a simple, chocolate brownie. For a change, it's nice to make them in cupcake form, and I find it intriguing that the difference in shape and presentation takes them to a different level of interest with most people. The addition of rocky road toppings are next level.
How to Make the Best Rocky Road Brownie Cupcakes
I begin this recipe with a good quality boxed brownie mix. It's designed to keep things easy and because the toppings make these brownie cupcakes so decadent, no one will know or care.
- You can also make the brownies from scratch using my recipe for Ultimate Fudge Brownies. If you have a favorite homemade recipe, try it with these toppings to change it up a little.
- You could also use the recipe for Frosted Brownies omitting the frosting and topping them per the recipe, instead.
- It's well worth the small amount of effort to toast the almonds prior to assembling. The nutty flavor that it brings out is always a win.
- You don't have to bake these in cupcake liners. You can bake then place into liners for serving.
- You could also use silicone muffin cups to bake to prevent sticking.
- Store leftover rocky road brownie cupcakes at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
- You may also like this Rocky Road Fudge recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Rocky Road Brownie Cupcakes
Servings: 12 servings
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1 18.3 oz package double chocolate brownie mix plus oil and eggs to prepare [i.e. Ghiradelli]
- 1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Arrange almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl prepare the brownies according to the instructions on the box. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake the brownie cupcakes for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and quickly place 8-10 marshmallows on top of each brownie cupcake. Return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes until the marshmallows begin to melt and brown. You can also broil, if preferred.
- Meanwhile, prepare ganache. Melt chocolate chips and cream together in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth. Keep warm.
- To assemble: Remove brownie cupcakes from oven, after toasting marshmallows. Sprinkle each with slivered almonds. Drizzle with the warm chocolate ganache.
- Garnish with additional almonds, if desired. Serve warm.
Do you like coffee? If so, try a mocha version. Add 1-2 teaspoon of instant coffee or espresso to the batter OR prepared coffee in place of the water called for on the packaging.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 156mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Others have told me they reheat well, I'm so happy you're still enjoying them! You did such a great post on them, and I'm glad to know they're helping. ☺
This diet thing can be such a drag, but on an up note I've been eating your French Eggs, and they are a great morning boost, heat up in the mic like a dream and I think... helping me stay on track. (longest run-on-sentence ever):)
Hi Linda! I hear ya, thank you so much I always love hearing from you. ☺
This is so up my alley Melissa. I'll be making these as soon as I lose a few lbs, which hopefully will be soon. Great photo, btw 🙂