These Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers are stuffed with scrambled eggs, sausage and plenty of gooey cheese. Terrific for breakfast on the go these savory hand pies will thrill your breakfast eaters and they’re guaranteed to come back for more. Today I filled them using sausage but you could use bacon, cubed ham or even a vegetable medley of peppers, onion and mushrooms.
To make a 6-inch round, I used a cereal bowl and a sharp knife to cut the rounds. While I have quite an assortment of cookie cutters, I don’t have one quite that large. Cooking is all about improvisation amnd the bowl worked like a charm.
If you need to make these in advance, after baking let them cool completely before you wrap them and tuck them away in the fridge and crust won’t get soggy. The sky is the limit with turnovers and this breakfast version is a family favorite!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers
- 1 14 oz box refrigerated pie crusts
- 6 oz breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp cream or half & half
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- Seasoned salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup any variety shredded cheese Colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack (your favorite)
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured non-stick surface use a rolling pin to roll the pie crust thinner, large enough to fit 3 circles. Trace the outline of a 6-inch bowl with a sharp knife. Re-roll the scraps and form a 4th round. Repeat with both pie crusts.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream seasoned salt, black pepper and chives. Pour into a non stick skillet and soft scramble.
- Place shredded cheese in the middle of each round. Top with scrambled egg, cooked sausage and more cheese.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg wash then fold over and seal. Use a fork to press the edges together. Place onto the parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Brush the turnovers with egg wash on all sides and cut slits in the middle of each using a sharp knife.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.