These Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers are ideal for those on-the-go mornings. Assemble them in advance and bake fresh for a delicious start to any day.
Easy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers Recipe
These breakfast turnovers are stuffed with scrambled eggs, sausage and plenty of gooey cheese. They’re terrific for breakfast on the go, certain to have your least enthusiastic breakfast eaters coming back for more. The sky is the limit with turnovers, they can be made with sweet or savory fillings like this breakfast version. A sweet example would be these irresistible caramel apple hand pies a favorite with kids of all ages.
How to Make the Best Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers: One box refrigerated pie crusts (i.e. Pillsbury or similar), large eggs, shredded cheese, cream or half and half, salt and black pepper, chopped chives and green onions and breakfast sausage.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large baking pan, whisk, medium bowl, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, a small bowl to make the egg wash, 10 inch skillet and a pastry brush.
- To make a 6-inch pastry round, I used a cereal bow and traced the outline using the tip of a sharp knife to cut each into rounds. While I have quite an assortment of cookie cutters, sometimes cooking calls for improvising. The cereal bowl worked like a charm. If you have a cookie cutter that size, by all means use it.
- If you need to make these in advance, after baking let them cool completely before you wrap them and tuck them away in the fridge. This will prevent the crust from becoming soggy. Store chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can also fully assemble the turnovers and place them into an airtight container and into the refrigerator overnight. Brush them with egg wash just before baking for make ahead meal prep. Place wax paper between layers if stacking.
- This recipe utilizes the combination of sausage, eggs and cheese. You could certainly use bacon, cubed ham or even a vegetable medley of peppers, onion and mushrooms for a vegetarian variation.
- If you’d like to add a little kick, substitute pepper-jack cheese for the cheddar. You can also use any flavor of cheese that you have readily on hand.
- These hand pies can be baked and frozen, then reheated in a 350°F oven to crisp and heat through.
- You can reheat Sausage and Egg Breakfast turnovers in an air fryer, in the microwave or in a 350°F oven until heated through.
More East Breakfast Recipes to Make
- Stuffed Ham Egg and Cheese Biscuits make a tasty breakfast on the run.
- Make these Cream Cheese Danish using frozen puff pastry.
- Make your own homemade Breakfast Sausage.
- Serve these Crepes with fresh fruit and a drizzle of chocolate syrup for brunch or desert.
- These Cheese Rolls are a savory bread made and rolled up like cinnamon rolls.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with a cup of tea or coffee will kick start your day.
- Easy Breakfast Egg Muffins for meal prep and busy mornings.
- Greek Yogurt Waffles from Recipe Girl.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Turnovers
- 1 14 oz box refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 6 oz breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp cream or half and half
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- Seasoned salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups any variety shredded cheese Colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack (use your favorite)
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp cold water for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured non-stick surface use a rolling pin to roll the pie crust thinner, large enough to fit 3 circles. Trace the outline of a 6-inch bowl with a sharp knife. Re-roll the scraps and form a 4th round. Repeat with both pie crusts. Set aside.
- To prepare the filling: Whisk together 5 eggs, cream, seasoned salt, black pepper and chives. Pour into a non stick skillet and soft scramble.
- To assemble: Place 1/2 shredded cheese in the middle of each round. Top with scrambled egg, cooked sausage and remaining shredded cheese.
- Brush the edges of the pastry rounds with the beaten egg wash then fold over. Use the tines of a fork to seal the edges. Place onto the parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Brush the turnovers with egg wash on all sides and cut one or two slits in the center of each using a sharp knife.
- Place into the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.