Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa is a spectacular way to braise cabbage in the oven. Serve it as a side dish or an entree for a stress free meal option on a busy day.
Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa Made in the Oven
I love finding ways to make recipes that we love using different techniques depending on the amount of prep time that I have on any given day. I began braising cabbage on a whim, and never turned back. While I certainly love making fried cabbage with bacon on the stovetop, some days it's nice to toss it into the oven on a sheet pan and move on with other things. Those are the days I utilize this technique.
Helpful Tips for Braising Cabbage in the Oven
While this technique is simple, it takes a bit of adjusting through the braising process.
- Please note: Depending on the size of the cabbage pieces the cooking time may vary. The loose leafy potions will naturally cook a little quicker than the firm interior. Think ⅓-1/2 inch ribbons of the exterior leaves and slightly thinner for the interior.
- I begin this cabbage with a high oven temperature. What this does, is allow the cabbage to release liquid at the onset. You'll note, the steam rising from the cabbage during this time.
- After the cabbage has released liquid, it's time to begin caramelizing, so stir to prevent the hotter spots in the oven from over browning any one spot. Personally, I love these little brown bits, but there's plenty of room to adjust according to your taste. Want less caramelization? Stir more often.
- You can add cooked potatoes to the pan too, if you like. Start with parboiled fork tender cubed potatoes, tossed with a little olive oil. Add to the pan with the kielbasa.
- At the end of braising, if you'd like to brown further, turn the oven to broil. Don't walk away.
Dishes to Serve with Cabbage and Kielbasa
This dish is dual purpose and I've often served it as an entrée for a filling dinner as well as a side dish.
- Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread
- Cornbread topped Hoppin' John Casserole
- Homestyle Green Beans and Potatoes
- Easy Southern Succotash
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa
- 1 large head green cabbage cored and sliced (About ⅓-1/2 inch wide pieces)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil adjust amount to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve 2 Tbsp drippings
- 1-2 tsp garlic salt (adjust amount to taste) OR table salt and 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp fennel seed optional
- ½-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz smoked kielbasa sausage ¼ inch slices
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a large rimmed sheet pan or two pans with cooking spray.
- Spread cabbage and onion on pan. Drizzle with oil, bacon drippings, salt, pepper, fennel seed and crushed red pepper flakes, tossing to coat. (You can use more or less oil to your taste and/or spray with cooking spray)
- Place into the oven, roasting for 10 minutes. Stir, then arrange kielbasa slices on top.
- Lower oven temp to 425°F and return to oven cooking for 25-35 minutes or until cabbage is lightly charred and tender, stirring halfway through. Broil at the end of cooking to brown further, if desired.
- Serve immediately garnished with parsley and crumbled bacon.
- Adjust amount of oil
- Omit bacon
- Use Turkey kielbasa