Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa is a spectacular way to braise cabbage in the oven. Serve it as a side dish or an entrée for a stress free meal option on a busy day.
Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa Made in the Oven
I love finding ways to make recipes that we love using different techniques depending on the amount of prep time that I have on any given day. I began braising cabbage on a whim, and never turned back. While I certainly love making fried cabbage with bacon on the stovetop, some days it's nice to toss it into the oven on a sheet pan and move on with other things. Those are the days I utilize this technique.
How to Make the Best Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa Recipe
While this technique is simple, it takes a bit of adjusting through the braising process. It's a terrific and flavorful low carb meal option.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Cabbage and Kielbasa: Chopped green cabbage, sliced kielbasa sausage, onion, olive oil, bacon, fennel seed, garlic salt, black pepper crushed red pepper flakes and chopped flat leaf parsley. You could also use andouille sausage or polish salsa in place of kielbasa.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large rimmed baking pan, sharp knife and chopping board, a large skillet to fry the bacon, measuring cups and spoons and a large spoon for stirring.
- If you prefer, you can use butter in place of the bacon drippings.
- You could use granulated garlic or garlic powder and table salt instead of garlic salt and add a dusting of onion powder to the mix.
- Please note: Depending on the size of the cabbage pieces the cooking time may vary. The loose leafy potions will naturally cook a little quicker than the firm interior. Think ⅓-1/2 inch ribbons of the exterior leaves and slightly thinner for the interior.
- I begin this cabbage with a high oven temperature. What this does, is allow the cabbage to release liquid at the onset. You'll note, the steam rising from the cabbage during this time. Releasing the liquid enhances the overall flavor.
- After the cabbage has released liquid, it's time to begin caramelizing, so stir to prevent the hotter spots in the oven from over browning any one spot. Personally, I love these little brown bits, but there's plenty of room to adjust according to your taste. If you want less caramelization, stop and stir it more often.
- You can add cooked potatoes to the pan too, if you like. Start with parboiled fork tender cubed potatoes, tossed with a little olive oil. Add to the pan with the kielbasa. If you're keeping this keto, omit.
- You could also cut up a Granny Smith apple or two and add it to the cabbage mixture.
- What is traditionally served with kielbasa? A side of grainy mustard is nice for dipping the sausages.
- You can make this on the stovetop in a skillet. See how to make my recipe for kielbasa cabbage skillet here.
- At the end of braising, if you'd like to brown the cabbage further, turn the oven to broil. Don't walk away.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat or in the microwave in single servings.
Southern Side Dishes to Serve with Cabbage and Kielbasa
What dishes go well with cabbage? This dish is dual purpose and I've often served it as an entrée for a filling dinner as well as a side dish. A few ideas for accompaniments you may like to try:
- Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread will bring the heat to the menu.
- Cornbread topped Hoppin' John Casserole is a riff on classic Hoppin' John swapping out a cornbread crust for rice.
- Roasted Honey Chipotle Sweet Potato Wedges are sweet and spicy.
- Homestyle Green Beans and Potatoes are a must-make during garden season.
- Easy Southern Succotash is as flavorful as the colors are vibrant.
- Cheesy Potato Pancakes are fried until crispy and golden.
- Kielbasa Hash from Mom on Timeout.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sheet Pan Cabbage and Kielbasa
- 1 large head green cabbage cored and sliced (About ⅓-1/2 inch wide pieces)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil adjust amount to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve 2 tablespoon drippings
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic salt (adjust amount to taste) OR table salt and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed optional
- ½-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz smoked kielbasa sausage ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a large rimmed sheet pan or two pans with cooking spray.
- Spread cabbage and onion on pan. Drizzle with oil, bacon drippings, salt, pepper, fennel seed and crushed red pepper flakes, tossing to coat. (You can use more or less oil to your taste and/or spray with cooking spray)
- Place into the oven, roasting for 10 minutes. Stir, then arrange kielbasa slices on top.
- Lower oven temp to 425°F and return to oven cooking for 25-35 minutes or until cabbage is lightly charred and tender, stirring halfway through. Broil at the end of cooking to brown further, if desired.
- Serve immediately garnished with parsley and crumbled bacon.
- Adjust amount of oil
- Omit bacon
- Use Turkey kielbasa
I haven't tried it yet, but I am anxious to do so. Thank you very much. It looks delicious.
Looks delicious my favorite kind of food thank you 😊
Thanks so much, we love it too!