Skillet meals like this Skillet Chicken With Bacon, Onion And Mushroom Gravy are terrific for quick and filling weekday meals. The ingredients are simple and you may have everything you need already in your pantry. Lightly floured boneless skinless chicken breasts are pan fried then smothered with a decadent bacon, onion and mushroom gravy. It’s so tender and flavorful it’s a dish that puts the comfort in comfort food.
This dish is a product of an uber busy day when I was and running short on time. I knew I had chicken breasts thawed and a pound of mushrooms that were needing to be used. So, I threw together these ingredients choosing to dredge the chicken pieces in a homemade seasoned flour. Lo and behold, it was an immediate hit. Skillet Chicken With Bacon, Onion And Mushroom Gravy is a ramped up version of smothered chicken that can be prepared in one skillet on the stove top any day of the week. I particularly love the smokiness that the bacon lends to the mushrooms and onions in the luscious cream gravy. Serve this chicken with a heaping helping of mashed potatoes or over buttered rice then add a side of sweet peas or green beans. It’s a meal that my family practically inhales and it always leaves them asking for more.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Skillet Chicken With Bacon, Onion And Mushroom Gravy
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 1 tsp seasoned salt plus additional as needed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry tarragon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus additional as needed
- olive oil
- 1 lb sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 4 green onion thinly sliced and divided
- 2 cup whole milk or half & half
- In large heavy bottomed skillet, cook the bacon, until crispy. Drain on paper towels reserving 2 Tbsp of drippings in the pan and reserve the rest for cooking the mushrooms and onions. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Sift together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned salt, paprika, dried Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, tarragon and black pepper.
- Coat the chicken pieces on all sides with the seasoned flour.
- Add a couple of drizzles of olive oil to the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Cook the chicken pieces over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side until golden and the juices run clear. Add additional oil as needed. Adjust the cooking time according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Remove from the pan to a platter and keep warm while you make the gravy.
- Add the reserved bacon drippings back to the pan. Add additional olive oil if needed to equal around 1/4 cup total.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and green onion, reserving 1 Tbsp of green onion for garnishing. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened and are beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour over the cooked mushrooms. Stir and cook over medium heat just until the flour has absorbed the liquid.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring the gravy to a simmer. continue to stir. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Bubble gently for 5 minutes or until thickened. After thickened, stir in 1/2 of the bacon crumbles.
- Return the chicken to the pan, spooning the gravy on top. Garnish with the reserved green onion and bacon crumbles.
- Serve immediately.