Oven Fried Chicken Fingers – We Southerners are known for our love of fried chicken. It’s true we do. However, we all know we can’t eat it everyday. So, we have to come up with ways of enjoying the crunchy breading we love without the guilt. These oven fried chicken fingers are my choice to serve my family on such an ocassion. They’re lighter but not lacking in flavor. Crusted in panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese they’re simple to make and bake crispy and crunchy.
You can spray these with butter flavored cooking spray to keep them truly light or drizzle them with light butter. I prefer spraying them with cooking spray first then lightly drizzling them with butter halfway through baking. The reason I choose that technique is that it gives the breading time to adhere to the chicken. In the case of oven frying a light drizzle is best. You can drizzle them lightly with butter at the beginning of cooking too, if preferred.
Serve these crispy chicken fingers with your favorite dipping sauces such as honey mustard, ranch dressing, barbecue sauce or with warm marinara sauce as an entree or an appetizer.
Oven Fried Chicken Fingers
- 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped chopped chives
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 'salt & black pepper
- cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp butter or light butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Liberally spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix together the all purpose flour with 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Beat 2 large eggs with 2 Tbsp of milk. Season with salt and black pepper
- Mix together the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, chopped chives and dry Italian seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken pieces through the flour, then the egg wash.
- Roll in the panko-Parmesan breadcrumbs. Press the breading onto the chicken tenders.
- Lay on the prepared baking pan without touching.
- Spray the chicken liberally with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes drizzling with melted butter halfway through baking.
- Rest on the pan for 5 minutes then serve. with your favorite dipping sauces.
b) Adjust the baking time according to the size and thickness of the chicken tenders being prepared.