This dreamy Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta is made in snap on the stovetop turning it into a perfect 30 minute meal any day of the week. The pesto coated chicken pieces and simple decadent sauce can be prepared while the pasta is cooking and then combined just before serving. Add strips of roasted red peppers and chiffonade of fresh basil for added flavor and a punch of flavor then serve, it’s simple as that.
Easy Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta Recipe
Italian inspired dishes are always a hot favorite and my boys come running when they’re on the menu. Be it spaghetti with meat sauce, slow cooked lasagna, saucy chicken Parmesan or stuffed shells it always seems to be a welcome sight. I love Italian flavors too, and many seasonings used in Italian cooking actually become more robust when a dish is made in advance. This simple fact makes them great for make-ahead easy meal prep, too.
How to Make the Best Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta Recipe
This creamy pesto chicken is one that is terrific for busy day meals, as it truly come together quickly. The simple sauce thickens in the skillet then it’s tossed with hot pasta just before serving.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, garlic salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, prepared store bought pesto (i.e. Classico or similar), olive oil, half and half, chive and onion cream cheese, roasted red peppers, grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. You’ll also need cooked fettuccine, angel hair pasta or linguine for serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large 12 inch skillet, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, large spoon for stirring, sharp knife and cutting board and a pasta pot to cook the pasta.
- If you’re cooking a larger batch and need extra servings, the pesto sauce for this recipe easily doubles.
- Use your favorite brand of pesto for this recipe.
- When making a large batch, add extra chicken pieces to match the amount of servings needed and you’ll be good to go. You could also expedite preparation and adapt this recipe using smaller chicken pieces, boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders which cook in minutes.
- Pair this Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta skillet with a Grilled Vegetable Salad, Green Bean Salad or crispy Panko Parmesan Roasted Broccoli and a basket of buttery Parmesan cheese coated Pull Apart Garlic Rolls, and it’s time to eat.
- Store leftover Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- Finger licking Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks.
- Smothered Asiago Chicken topped with spinach and mushrooms.
- Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken drizzled with warm marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breasts can be used for sandwiches, salads, wraps or as an entrée with your favorite side dishes.
- Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings in 30 Minutes.
- Skip takeout and make your own Cashew Chicken at home.
- Buffalo Chicken Bites from Southern Living.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta
- 5 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic salt divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp prepared basil pesto divided
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 Tbsp divided
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 5 oz jar roasted red bell pepper, drained thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chiffonade
- 16 oz cooked pasta for serving i.e. fettuccine, linguine, angel hair pasta, spaghetti
- Season the chicken breasts with 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper on all sides. Rub with 2 Tbsp basil pesto. (If preparing in advance, place into a plastic storage bag and into the fridge)
- To prepare: Drizzle a large skillet with a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Over medium-high heat, brown the chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side. (Adjust depending on thickness) Remove from the skillet to a platter and set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- To the skillet add the half and half, cream cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan. 2 Tbsp pesto. 1/2 tsp garlic salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Bring to a simmer then immediately lower the heat and allow to bubble gently. Stir until the cream cheese is completely melted. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the sliced red peppers and chicken to the pan.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until heated through and the chicken juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan and ribbons of fresh basil, if desired.
- Serve over hot fettuccine or your favorite pasta.