How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Ham Potato Corn Chowder Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooker Ham Potato Corn Chowder: Cubed ham, russet potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, shredded cheese, cheddar cheese soup, corn, all purpose flour, Velveeta cheese, half and half, butter, garlic salt, black pepper, paprika, chicken stock and chopped parsley.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 6 quart slow cooker, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk, a large spoon, large bowl, chopping board and sharp knife, cheese grater and ladle.
- Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list. The ingredients are simple to find and readily available.
- This recipe fills my 6 quart slow cooker. If you’re not entertaining a crowd, leftovers freeze well and can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve this chowder with a spinach salad and garlic bread on the side for dipping.
More Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipes to Make
Slow cooking brings out the flavor of ingredients transforming them into a beautiful marriage.
- The slow simmering is key to making soups like Vegetable Beef Soup.
- Ham and 15 Bean soup taste like a million bucks.
- Slow Cooker Potato Ham Soup is an outstanding use for holiday ham.
- Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken is a lighter take on this takeout favorite.
- Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole is rich and indulgent.
- Crockpot Barbecue Pork and Beans ladled over cornbread is a downhome meal that will stick to your ribs.
- Don’t skip dessert, checkout 20 Indulgent Cakes You Can Make in a Slow Cooker on Parade.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Ham Potato And Corn Chowder
Servings: 6 Quarts
- 1 lb ham cubed
- 3 cups cubed russet potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz package frozen corn
- 2 10 3/4 oz cans cheddar cheese soup
- 1 32 oz chicken stock or broth
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Cheese sauce:
- 1 8 oz block cubed cheese [i.e. Velveeta]
- 1 cup half and half
- chopped green onions and shredded cheddar cheese for garnishing
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- In a skillet, saute the chopped onion, carrot and celery in 4 tablespoons of butter until they begin to soften. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, to the slow cooker add ham, potatoes, soups, corn, chicken stock and seasonings to the slow cooker. Add cooked vegetables, mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. (Reserve flour for thickening, Velveeta, half and half and green onions for the end of cooking.)
- After 6 hours, remove the lid and stir. Increase the heat to high.
- To thicken: In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour with just enough water to completely dissolve. Stir the flour into the chowder until fully blended.
- Replace the lid and allow the chowder to cook and thicken for another 45-60 minutes. The potatoes should be fork tender.
- To make the cheese sauce: Melt together the cubed cheese and half and half in the microwave until smooth.
- Mix the cheese sauce into the chowder at the very end of cooking. Stir until well blended. Garnish with green onions and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Keep warm until serving.
By adding the half & half and cheese at the end of cooking, they will not separate. The ingredients will blend together and the chowder will be smooth. This recipe fills my 6 quart slow cooker. If you're not entertaining a crowd, it also freezes well.
Serving: 1quart | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 2937mg | Potassium: 1019mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 4382IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 298mg | Iron: 3mg