Slow Cooking Brings the Ingredients Together
Slow cooking brings out the flavor of all of the ingredients transforming them into a beautiful marriage. The slow simmering is key to making soups like vegetable beef and ham and bean soup taste like a million bucks. Don't skip dessert, checkout 20 Indulgent Cakes You Can Make in a Slow Cooker on Parade.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Ham Potato And Corn Chowder
- 1 lb ham cubed
- 3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz package frozen corn
- 2 10 ¾ oz cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 10 ¾ can cream of celery soup
- 1 14 oz can creamed corn
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Cheese sauce:
- 1 8 oz block cubed cheese [like Velveeta]
- ½ cup low fat half & half
- 4 chopped green onions
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- Dice the ham and potatoes into cubes.
- In a skillet, saute the chopped onion, carrot and celery in 4 tablespoons of butter until they begin to soften. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the cubed ham and potato, soups, creamed corn, whole kernel corn, chicken broth and seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the sauteed vegetables and mix thoroughly. [Add everything except for the thickening, cheese sauce ingredients and green onions.to be added at the end of cooking.]
- Cook the chowder on the low setting for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, remove the lid and stir. Increase the heat to the high setting.
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup of flour with just enough water to completely dissolve it. Stir the flour into the chowder then taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed.
- Replace the lid and allow the chowder to cook and thicken for another 45-60 minutes. The potatoes should be fork tender.
- Melt together the cubed cheese and half & half in the microwave until smooth.
- Mix the cheese sauce and chopped green onions into the chowder at the very end of cooking. Stir until well blended. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Keep warm until serving.