Slow Cooked Ham Potato And Corn Chowder
Servings: 6 Quarts
- 1 lb ham cubed
- 3 cups potatoes cubed
- 1 medium chopped sweet onion
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 [12 oz] pkg frozen corn niblets
- 2 [10 3/4 oz] cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 [14 oz] cans chicken broth
- 1 [10 3/4 oz] can cream of celery soup
- 1 [14.5 oz] can creamed corn
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Cheese sauce:
- 1 8 oz block cubed cheese [like Velveeta]
- 1/2 cup low fat half & half
- 4 chopped green onions
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- Dice the ham and potatoes into cubes.
- In a skillet, saute the chopped onion, carrot and celery in 4 tablespoons of butter until they begin to soften. Season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the cubed ham and potato, soups, creamed corn, whole kernel corn, chicken broth and seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the sauteed vegetables and mix thoroughly. [Add everything except for the thickening, cheese sauce ingredients and green onions.to be added at the end of cooking.]
- Cook the chowder on the low setting for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, remove the lid and stir. Increase the heat to the high setting.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of flour with just enough water to completely dissolve it. Stir the flour into the chowder then taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed.
- Replace the lid and allow the chowder to cook and thicken for another 45-60 minutes. The potatoes should be fork tender.
- Melt together the cubed cheese and half & half in the microwave until smooth.
- Mix the cheese sauce and chopped green onions into the chowder at the very end of cooking. Stir until well blended. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Keep warm until serving.
By adding the half & half and cheese at the end of cooking, they will not separate. The ingredients will blend together and the chowder will be smooth. This recipe fills my 6 quart slow cooker. If you're not entertaining a crowd, it also freezes well.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!