Slow Cooked Kickin' Cowboy Casserole is a one-pot meal that's hearty and satisfying. Layers of potatoes, peppers and onion seasoned ground beef, sweet corn and kidney beans all slow cooked with love. All it takes to enjoy this one dish wonder is a bit of pre-planning and prep work then the rest is up to the slow cooker that's where the real magic happens. Top with shredded cheese and fresh cilantro just before serving and it's ready to fill the hungry tummies at your dinner table.
While this recipe takes a few steps to prepare it's well worth the small amount of effort for the mouthwatering end result. The easy-to-find ingredients are layered in the slow cooker and simmered all day on low. For a time saver you can use cubed thawed hash brown potatoes or fresh cubed Yukon gold potatoes, if you prefer. It's a hearty one dish meal, and I like to serve it with sour cream and a plethora of of our favorite fiesta toppings like olives, guacamole and pico de gallo. My little cowboys gave this version their stamp of approval so, it's been family tested and approved.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Kickin' Cowboy Casserole
- 32 oz frozen diced hashbrowns completely thawed or 5 cup diced potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno or poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 3 clove garlic minced
- olive oil
- seasoned salt and black pepper
- 3 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano or ½ tsp Italian oregano
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1  oz can fire roasted chili seasoned tomatoes
- 1 [10 ¾] oz can fiesta nacho soup [see Cook's note]
- 1  oz can mexi-corn drained
- 1  oz can light red kidney beans or pinto beans drained
- 3 cup shredded pepper-jack or monterey-jack, divided
- In a large skillet saute the diced onion and pepper in a few drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef, cooking over medium-high until browned and no pink remains. Drain all excess fat from the pan.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, diced tomatoes and fiesta nacho cheese soup. Taste and adjust the seasoned salt and black pepper. Mix well and remove from the heat.
- Press the thawed hashbrowns firmly on the bottom and partially up the sides of a 6 quart oval slow cooker. Drizzle lightly with melted butter or olive oil and season with seasoned salt.
- Layer the remaining ingredients, starting with ½ of the ground beef, mixture ½ of corn, ½ kidney beans and ½ shredded cheese.
- Repeat reserving 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top at the end of cooking.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 until the potatoes are fork tender and cooked through.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top at the end of cooking and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.