This kicking Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole is a one-pot meal that's hearty and satisfying. It features layers of potatoes, peppers and seasoned ground beef, along with Mexican corn and kidney beans. After simmering in the slow cooker, top it with shredded cheese, cilantro and your favorite toppings just before serving.
Easy Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole Recipe
While this recipe takes a few steps to prepare it's well worth the small amount of effort for the mouthwatering end result. How do you make Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole? The easy-to-find ingredients are layered in the slow cooker beginning with the cubed hash brown potatoes. After browning the ground beef on the stovetop and mixing with the seasonings, tomatoes and nacho cheese soup, layer the ground beef mixture with the kidney beans and corn. Cover and simmer all day on the low setting, then top with your favorite fiesta toppings and dig in! It's family tested and approved.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole: Ground beef, hash browns, olive oil, onion, poblano or jalapeno pepper, light red kidney beans, mince garlic, chili powder, seasoned salt, black pepper, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, cilantro, canned tomatoes, Mexican corn, one can fiesta nacho soup, shredded pepper jack cheese or monterey jack cheese.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A 5 or 6 quart slow cooker or crockpot, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, skillet and large spoon for stirring everything together.
- I use thawed frozen hash brown potatoes for a time saver. You could also use fresh cubed Yukon gold or russet potatoes, in the same amount.
- This casserole recipe can also be made using ground chicken, turkey or chorizo sausage.
- You could adapt this recipe using frozen corn with peppers in place of canned corn. You could also use pinto beans or black beans in place of the light red kidney beans.
- Cheese is an easy adaptation to make. Use cheddar or colby jack for a milder flavor profile.
- I like to serve cowboy casserole with sour cream, salsa, ,olives, guacamole , pico de gallo or any of your favorite taco toppings.
- Store Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to Make
Slow cookers were made for busy day cooking and thee are so many recipes you can simmer while you're away. A few other recipes to add to the busy day dinner rotation:
- Tender and flavorful Slow Cooker Swiss Steak is delicious served over mashed potatoes or rice.
- Comforting Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings is a cinch to assemble and the slow cooker does the rest.
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew is rich and hearty.
- Flavorful Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce simmers in the slow cooker while you go about your day.
- Easy Crockpot Mac and Cheese is a game changer.
- Taco Tuesday ready Crockpot Pulled Chicken Tacos.
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole from Plain Chicken.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole
- 1 32 oz package frozen diced hash browns (i.e. Oneida or similar) completely thawed or 5 cup diced potatoes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno or poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each seasoned salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or ½ teaspoon Italian oregano
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted chili seasoned tomatoes
- 1 10 ¾ oz can fiesta nacho soup [See Cook's note]
- 1 10 oz can mexicorn drained
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans drained
- 3 cup shredded pepper-jack or monterey-jack, divided
- fresh cilantro for garnishing
- In a large skillet sauté the diced onion and pepper in a few drizzles of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- To the skillet add the ground beef. Continue to cook over medium-high until browned and no pink remains. Drain all excess fat from the pan.
- To the ground beef add chili powder, cumin, seasoned salt, black pepper, oregano, diced tomatoes and fiesta nacho cheese soup. Mix well and remove from the heat.
- To assemble: Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker or similar size slow cooker with cooking spray. Press hash browns firmly on the bottom and partially up the sides.
- Layer the remaining ingredients, starting with ½ of the ground beef, mixture ½ of corn, ½ kidney beans and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers reserving 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top at the end of cooking.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 OR until the potatoes are fork tender and cooked through.
- Uncover, sprinkle the reserved 1 cup shredded cheese on top. Let stand uncovered until cheese melts.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.