Slow Cooked Smothered Swiss Steak
Smothered steak just like smothered chicken, takes on many forms. depending on the cooks preference and interpretation. This is my take on a classic, Swiss Steak made in a slow cooker. The rich tomato gravy enriched with sweet onion and bell pepper is the crowning touch. Since it isn’t a flour based “gravy” it makes this spectacular dish the perfect choice to warm you on cold days or keep the kitchen cool during warm weather.. By slow cooking the cubed steak in this dish it becomes “melt in your mouth” tender with a sauce that’s simple and full bodied.
Tips and Pointers:
- I know sometimes, just popping everything into the crock of the slow cooker is one of the most appealing things about slow cooking. I couldn’t agree more. This is one exception, when I recommend that you take the time to brown the steak before adding it to the slow cooker for optimum flavor.
- Taking the time to brown the steaks will add both flavor and texture. If you prefer to skip this step, dredge the steaks in the seasoned flour then proceed with the recipe as written.
- To make the most of prep time, while the steaks brown, chop the vegetables for the tomato gravy. Minutes count on a busy day.
- I use a Mediterranean herb blend for this recipe but, you can adapt using your favorite Italian seasoning. Taste and adjust the amount to your taste.
- We love this smothered steak ladled over mashed potatoes and cheddar grits. It’s also delicious over rice and pasta or with a side of macaroni and cheese.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Homestyle Crockpot Pork Chops from Recipes that Crock.
After a busy day, my family loves to come home to aroma and flavors of this satisfying dish. Fifteen minutes of prep time, then the slow cooker does the rest.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper
- Serving Set
- Insulated Slow Cooker Travel Case and Carrier
Slow Cooked Smothered Swiss Steak
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp Mediterranean Herb seasoning, divided i.e. McCormick's
- 1 tsp garlic salt plus additional as needed
- 2 lb cubed sirloin steak
- olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large sweet onion cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste if needed to thicken
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or shredded Swiss cheese
- To make the seasoned flour: In a small bowl mix together flour, 1 tsp Mediterranean seasoning and garlic salt. Dust the steaks with seasoned flour on all sides.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Heat to high browning steaks on both sides for around 2 minutes per side. Do not cook through.
- Meanwhile, arrange green peppers and 1/2 of the onion on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Arrange the steaks on top. Top with remaining onion. Drizzle with Worcestershire sauce.
- Deglaze skillet with fire roasted tomatoes, brown sugar, bay leaves, 3 tsp of Mediterranean seasoning, red pepper flakes and 3 Tbsp tomato paste.
- Season with garlic salt and black pepper to your taste. Scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour sauce over the steaks in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- May use tomato paste to thicken the sauce at the end of cooking, if desired.
- Serve over Swiss Cheese Mashed Potatoes, rice or egg noodles. garnished with fresh chopped parsley and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese.