Easy meals like this super simple Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken are always in style. In this recipe pineapple chunks, sweet onion and barbecue seasoned chicken breasts are smothered with barbecue sauce and slow cooked until the flavors combine and the chicken is tender and succulent. Serve over rice to take advantage of the scrumptious cooking liquid or alongside a loaded baked potato and a salad to round out the meal.
Easy Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Recipe
Slow cookers make getting a hot meal on the table so much easier on busy days. If you love one-pot meals my roast chicken with vegetables is a tasty option. You can also skip takeout and make a tasty albeit lighter version, of sweet and sour chicken in a slow cooker. If a fiesta is more your style, my slow cooked fiesta chicken and rice is just the ticket.
Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, pineapple chunks, red pepper flakes, barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, barbecue seasoning, garlic salt, tomato paste.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: One 6 quart slow cooker, measuring cups and spoons, slotted spoon, sharp knife and cutting board.
- When making this particular dish, you can use canned pineapple chunks for convenience or fresh pineapple, the choice is yours.
- Also, I recommend you change up the flavor combination using your favorite prepared barbecue sauce to make this dish your own. If you’re in the mood for hickory smoked, sweet and spicy, chipotle or honey barbecue go for it! The amount will remain the same.
- Should you use a spicy barbecue sauce, you might omit the crushed red pepper flakes or adjust the amount to your taste.
- Prepared barbecue seasonings vary wildly in the amount of sodium that they contain. If the particular blend you’re using is salt heavy, adjust the amount of garlic salt or replace it with granulated garlic.
- I tend to use whole chicken breasts for this pineapple barbecue chicken. That said, you can also use smaller pieces of chicken cut into chunks or even bite size, if you want to stretch the servings for a larger group and your hungry eaters.
- Use the tomato paste at the end of cooking to thicken the sauce. Begin with 1-2 tablespoons then add more as needed to suit your personal taste.
- I highly recommend serving this over rice to soak up every drop of the delicious sauce. See how to make my Oven Baked Rice recipe here.
- For an Asian twist, you may like this Sweet Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken from Family Fresh Meals.
- Store Slow Cooked Pineapple Barbecue Chicken chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave in single servings.
More Easy Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipes to Make
- Slow Cooked Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is the side dish everyone will love. Bonus, oven instructions included.
- Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken is a lighter take on a Chinese takeout favorite.
- Crockpot Barbecue Pork and Beans is a picnic favorite you can make any time of year.
- Tender Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef is delicious piled high on toasted rolls.
- Hungry eaters will flip for this Slow Cooked Cowboy Casserole.
- Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak is the best served with a heaping helping of mashed potatoes.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 20 oz pineapple chunks drained (Or 2 cups fresh)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 2-3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning i.e. Barbecue Magic, Smokehouse Maple
- 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce i.e. Sweet Baby Rays or your favorite plus additional for serving
- 2-4 Tbsp tomato paste
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Arrange the chopped onion and pineapple chunks over the bottom. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Rub the chicken pieces on all sides with BBQ seasoning. Arrange over the pineapple.
- Drizzle with Teriyaki sauce, olive oil and season with garlic salt.
- Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6. (Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of chicken pieces)
- Uncover and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken pieces to a platter. Thicken the sauce using 2 Tbsp tomato paste. Adjust using more if needed to thicken to your taste.
- Serve over cooked rice, drizzled with sauce.