Easy meals like this super simple Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken are always in style. Pineapple chunks, sweet onion and barbecue seasoned chicken breasts are smothered with barbecue sauce and slow cooked until the flavors combine and the chicken is tender and succulent. Serve over rice to take advantage of the scrumptious cooking liquid or alongside a loaded baked potato and a salad to round out the meal.
Slow cookers make getting a hot meal on the table so much easier on busy days. If you love one-pot meals my roast chicken with vegetables is a tasty option. You can also skip takeout and make a tasty albeit lighter version, of sweet and sour chicken in a slow cooker. If a fiesta is more your style, my slow cooked fiesta chicken and rice is just the ticket. When making this particular dish, you can use canned pineapple chunks for convenience or fresh pineapple, the choice is yours. Also, I recommend you change up the flavor combination using your favorite prepared barbecue sauce to make this dish your own. I tend to use whole chicken breasts however, you can also use smaller pieces to feed a larger group or to stretch the servings a bit for your hungry eaters.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Pineapple Barbecue Chicken
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 20 oz pineapple chunks drained (Or 2 cups fresh)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 2-3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning i.e. Barbecue Magic, Smokehouse Maple
- 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce i.e. Sweet Baby Rays or your favorite plus additional for serving
- 2-4 Tbsp tomato paste
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Arrange the chopped onion and pineapple chunks over the bottom. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Rub the chicken pieces on all sides with BBQ seasoning. Arrange over the pineapple.
- Drizzle with Teriyaki sauce, olive oil and season with garlic salt.
- Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6. (Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of chicken pieces)
- Uncover and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken pieces to a platter. Thicken the sauce using 2 Tbsp tomato paste. Adjust using more if needed to thicken to your taste.
- Serve over cooked rice, drizzled with sauce.