Stovetop Chicken And Dumplings In 30 Minutes in 30 minutes makes for a comforting busy day feast. The trick to having this on the table in 30 minutes, is by using rotisserie chicken. Biscuit like dumplings cooked in a flavorful chicken broth with onion, carrot and diced celery turns this into a one pot comfort filled meal.
I don’t have to tell you how comforting a bowl of chicken and dumplings is after a long busy day. I was blessed to grow-up with this hearty dish as a regular rotation on the menu in my Mom’s kitchen. It’s Southern Comfort at it’s finest. When making this dish, if it’s your preference to enjoy this Stovetop Chicken And Dumplings In 30 Minutes without vegetables, you can certainly leave them out or adjust the kind according to your taste. I personally love a one pot meal so, veggies are a must when I make this for my family. For the best results, leave the lid in place and don’t be tempted to peak. Let the dumplings develop their fluffy goodness all on their own. Also see Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings here.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Stovetop Chicken And Dumplings In 30 Minutes
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken with herbs soup
- 3 14.5 oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix [i.e. Bisquick]
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
In the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt the butter. Add diced onion, sliced carrots and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and brown.
- Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and stir to coat the vegetables.
Add bay leaf, soup, chicken broth, chopped chicken, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and tarragon. Adjust the salt and black pepper to your taste. Stir well.
- Increase the burner temperature and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the buttermilk baking mix and buttermilk.
Use a Tbsp or a 2 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dumpling dough dropping into the boiling broth.
- After all of the dumplings have been added, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Do not lift the lid for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, uncover, and gently press the dumplings into the broth.
- Remove from the heat. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir the dumplings through the broth prior to serving to naturally thicken the broth.
To thicken the broth further, remove the dumplings to a platter and keep warm. Bring broth to a simmer. Dissolve 2-3 Tbsp flour in cold water or milk, and whisk into the broth. Repeat until you reach your desired consistency. Return the dumplings to the pot and stir before serving.