Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings in 30 Minutes makes for a comforting busy day feast. The trick to having this on the table in 30 minutes, is to start with rotisserie chicken. Fluffy biscuit-like dumplings cook to perfection in a flavorful chicken broth embellished with onion, carrot and diced celery. Minimal effort turns this into a one pot tummy filling meal the family will love.
Easy Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings in 30 Minutes Recipe
I'm certain I don't have to say how comforting a bowl of chicken and dumplings can be after a long busy day. I feel blessed to have grown-up with this delicious dish as a regular entrée on the menu in my Mom's kitchen. It's Southern comfort at it's finest. That said, classic chicken and dumplings recipes don't usually include vegetables as I do in this dish. In fact, old fashioned recipes often consist of thickened broth with tender pieces of chicken and dumplings that are either rolled or rounds of dough dropped into the boiling broth. I added vegetables to mine as an attempt to not only add flavor and color but, turn this into a one pot meal.
How to Make the Best Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings: Rotisserie chicken, roughly chopped, butter, onion, carrot, celery, chicken stock or broth, poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, all purpose flour, Bisquick mix and buttermilk.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large pot or Dutch oven, sharp knife and cutting board, a large spoon for stirring, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons and ice cream scoop and ladle for serving.
- If you'd like to make your own chicken for this recipe, you can do that. To do so, you'll need 1-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks. Cook in the broth before adding the dumplings just until tender. Pull apart using a fork then add the dumplings and continue to cook per the recipe.
- When making this dish, if it's your preference to enjoy this Stovetop Chicken And Dumplings In 30 Minutes without vegetables, you can certainly leave them out or adjust the variety according to your taste. I personally love a one pot meal so, veggies are a must when I make this for my family.
- For the best results, leave the lid in place and don't be tempted to peak. Let the dumplings develop their fluffy goodness all on their own.
- If you prefer to make your own stock checkout Ina Garten's recipe for Homemade Chicken Stock here.
- Store leftover Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
More Southern Style Chicken Recipes to Make
Whether you like chicken roasted, fried, slow cooked or grilled, I've got you! More easy chicken recipes you may like to try:
- Quick and easy Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Kabobs.
- Easy Popcorn Chicken are made at home and better than any takeout you'll buy.
- Crispy fried Chicken Cakes with a Spicy Remoulade sauce to drizzle on top.
- Lemon Rosemary Roast Chicken roasted with vegetables is a delicious family style meal in one.
- Oven Fried Provolone Stuffed Chicken Breasts with a side of pasta is a feast.
- If you're a slow cooking fan I also have a recipe for Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings that remains a fan favorite.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Stovetop Chicken and Dumplings In 30 Minutes
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 4 tablespoon butter
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 large bay leaf
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken with herbs soup
- 3 14.5 oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 ½ cup buttermilk baking mix [i.e. Bisquick]
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- In the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt the butter. Add diced onion, sliced carrots and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and brown.
- Add ¼ cup all-purpose flour and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add bay leaf, soup, chicken broth, chopped chicken, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and tarragon. Adjust the salt and black pepper to your taste. Stir well.
- Increase the burner temperature and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the buttermilk baking mix and buttermilk.
- Use a tablespoon or a 2 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dumpling dough dropping into the boiling broth.
- After all of the dumplings have been added, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Do not lift the lid for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, uncover, and gently press the dumplings into the broth.
- Remove from the heat. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir the dumplings through the broth prior to serving to naturally thicken the broth.