This Swiss Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad is a simple quick salad to make, and it’s loaded with flavor. Unlike the more traditional version of broccoli salad with raisins and a tangy-sweet dressing, broccoli and cauliflower are tossed with bacon, Swiss cheese and a creamy homemade buttermilk dressing. Serve it thoroughly chilled for a delicious make ahead side dish to go with any meal.
We usually enjoy it at our Thanksgiving table in this vintage green serving bowl that once belonged to my Grandmother. Somehow, everything tastes better when it’s served from that bowl, and it brings back the memory of all of us eating Holiday meals together as a family. The flavor combination in this salad isn’t limited only to the Holidays…it’s great anytime of year.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Swiss Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad
Servings: 8 -10
- 1 [0.4 oz] packet dry buttermilk dressing mix
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 jar [4 oz] sliced pimentos drained
- 8-10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 small purple onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, add the buttermilk, mayonnaise and dry dressing mix to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the dressing together until it's fully combined. Stir in the drained pimentos and crumbled bacon.
- Cut the stems from the broccoli and cauliflower and separate into small bite size pieces.
- Add to the bowl along with the sliced onion. Stir until the dressing has fully coated all of the ingredients.
- Add the shredded Swiss cheese, then taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.
A sharp white cheddar cheese may be used in place of the Swiss cheese.