Tangy Tangerine Tart – I really love the flavor combination of orange and cream together in this tangy tangerine tart. Dreamsicle was my absolute favorite ice cream flavor when I was a child. Even now, one taste of those same flavors takes me back to the carefree Summer days of my childhood.
Featured in the April 2014 “Southern Style” issue of Romantic Homes Magazine
The tangerine custard in this pie, is smooth and luscious. Top it with a dollop of whipped topping, and it’s heavenly. I use a 9 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom when I prepare this tart. If you don’t have a fluted tart pan, it could also be made in a 9 inch pie pan instead. So fresh, tangy and tasty!
Tangy Tangerine Tart
Servings 6 -8
- For the crust you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds roughly broken
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- For the filling:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1  oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp tangerine zest
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a  inch fluted tart pan or spritz with cooking spray. A tart pan with a removable bottom works best.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the ingredients for the crust until combined.
- Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and sides of the tart pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium size mixing bowl using a hand mixer, whip together 3 large egg yolks and 2 Tbsp of granulated sugar. Whip for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whip for another 2 minutes. Pour the filling into the par-baked crust and return to the oven.
- Bake at 350°F for an additional 25 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Serve with a dollop of sweetened fresh whipped cream.
- Store chilled.