This easy Tuna Salad Recipe is a classic refrigerator salad that makes a yummy quick meal or snack. Serve it on fresh bread, stuffed into buttery croissants, on a crisp bed of lettuce or with crackers.
Easy Tuna Salad Recipe
This easy Tuna Salad recipe is one that the family will love having chilled ready in the fridge for snacking. How do you make homemade Tuna Salad? First, this recipe includes chopped hard boiled eggs so that's the first step making the eggs. After peeling the eggs, chop them along with the celery and onion. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients per the recipe then fold in the tuna, chopped egg, celery and onions. At this point you can taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste. Pop it into an airtight container then allow it to chill for several hours or overnight so the flavors can come together.
How to Make the Best Tuna Salad Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Tuna Salad: Canned albacore tuna packed in oil, two large hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, pickle relish (sweet or dill relish) mustard, celery, green onions, salt, lemon pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and dill.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board and a small saucepan to cook the hard boiled eggs.
- I prefer tuna packed in oil for tuna salad. You can use tuna packed in water if that's your preference or to lighten up the calories.
- You can use light mayonnaise in place of full fat mayonnaise.
- You can use sweet or dill relish in this recipe depending on your personal preference. Obviously, sweet relish will lend a slight sweetness to the flavor and dill won't. Either will work, it's up to you.
- Other mix-ins you could consider adding: Toasted nuts, grapes, chopped red onion, dill pickles or bread and butter pickles in place of the relish.
- You can serve this tuna salad immediately but I highly recommend chilling it for several hours or even overnight to give the flavors time to marry.
- Serve suggestions: Serve it on croissants, on a bed of lettuce, on artisan or sourdough bread or with crackers.
- You can also turn this salad into a tuna melt. To make a tuna melt, butter one side of two piece of Texas toast, or artisan bread. Place buttered side down in a nonstick pan or griddle then add a piece of cheese, spread with tuna salad then cover with another piece of cheese. Top with the second slice of buttered bread then grill over medium high heat until golden and flip. You can use sliced cheddar cheese or any variety of cheese that you enjoy.
- Store Tuna Salad well chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It's important to keep it well chilled.
More Easy Salad Recipes to Make
- This retro Grape Salad never disappoints.
- Avocado Egg Salad skips the mayonnaise and uses avocado instead.
- Southern Style Chicken Salad for light meals, sandwiches and between meal snacking.
- My Kickin Crab Salad is seasoned to perfection.
- This Chopped Chickpea Salad is good and good for you!
- You'll love my recipe for Shrimp Salad.
- Tomato Feta Asparagus Salad from Cooking Classy.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tuna Salad Recipe
- 4 (5 oz each) cans albacore tuna, drained packed in oil (or water)
- 2 large hard boiled eggs finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon whole grain mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½-1 teaspoon lemon pepper adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill (or 1 teaspoon fresh dill)
- ½ cup celery finely chopped
- 4 medium green onions chopped
- Drain tuna and finely chop boiled eggs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, salt, lemon pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and dill until fully combined.
- Add celery and green onions, mix well.
- To the bowl add tuna and egg. Gently mix together. Place into an airtight container and chill for 2-4 hours.
- Serve on lettuce, bread, crackers and enjoy.