Avocado Egg Salad is a tasty way to up your egg salad game. This Avocado Egg Salad is made without mayonnaise and yet still turns out with a velvety finish due to the mashed avocado. Simple seasonings, fresh lime juice, finely diced tomato, tangy red onion and additional chunks of avocado are mixed with a dollop of sour cream and sweet pickles that takes it over the top. Serve it on a sweet onion roll to seal the deal.
Mayonnaise is a personal favorite of mine but, I know not everyone shares my zeal for it. While it is my “go to” for my classic egg salad I must admit when I whip-up a batch of this Avocado Egg Salad I don’t miss it at all. In this recipe I prefer to mash most of the avocado but, love to mix-in some chunks of avocado too, to give it a fantastic contrast in texture. Chopped pickled jalapeno will give it a bit of heat, if you’re so inclined. I like to serve this egg salad in lettuce wraps, on croissants or sweet onion rolls for quick meals and snacking.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Avocado Egg Salad
- 8 large eggs
- 3 medium avocados peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced sweet pickles
- Place the eggs in a medium-size saucepan. Cover with enough water to cover by at least inch depth. Bring to a boil. Boil for 12 minutes. Remove from stovetop and drain hot water. Cover with cold water. Allow to cool until shells are cool enough to handle and peel.
- Roughly chop the eggs and place into a large mixing bowl. Add 2/3 cubed avocado, sour cream, Dijon, garlic salt, lemon pepper, hot sauce and onion powder. Use a potato masher to blend leaving mixture chunky.
- Add the tomato, onion and pickles. Mix well. Gently fold in remaining cubed avocado. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Place into an airtight container adding one avocado pit. Press plastic wrap directly on top of egg salad.
- Allow to chill for 4 hours until serving. (Recommend Onion Rolls for serving)
- Chopped pickled jalapenos to taste may be added, if desired.
- Adding the avocado pit is believed to slow oxidation and discoloration of avocado.