Elevate your egg salad game with this Avocado Egg Salad that's made without mayonnaise and yet still turns out with a smooth velvety finish. Simple seasonings, fresh lime juice, finely diced tomato, tangy red onion and additional chunks of avocado are mixed with a dollop of sour cream and sweet pickles that takes it over the top. Serve it on a sweet onion roll to seal the deal.
Avocado Egg Salad Leaves the Mayo Behind
Personally, I adore mayonnaise but, I know not everyone shares my zeal for it. While it is my "go to" for my classic egg salad I must admit when I whip-up a batch of this Avocado Egg Salad I don't miss it at all. In this recipe I prefer to mash most of the avocado but, love to mix-in some chunks of avocado too, to give it a fantastic contrast in texture. Chopped pickled jalapeno will give it a bit of heat, if you're so inclined. I like to serve this egg salad in lettuce wraps, on croissants or sweet onion rolls for quick meals and snacking.
Other Ways To Enjoy Egg Salad
Egg salad is one of those refrigerator salads that are handy to have in the fridge for light meals and snacking. It was often found in my Mom's fridge tucked right beside the pimento cheese and I have kept the same tradition for my own family. If you'd like to add a bit of heat to your egg salad you may enjoy this Curried Egg Salad from Family Food on the Table. If you're a deviled egg enthusiast you'll lo my Parade article featuring 18 Eggcellent Ways To Make Deviled Eggs.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Avocado Egg Salad
- 8 large eggs
- 3 medium avocados peeled and cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato seeded and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced sweet pickles
- Place the eggs in a medium-size saucepan. Cover with enough water to cover by at least inch depth. Bring to a boil. Boil for 12 minutes. Remove from stovetop and drain hot water. Cover with cold water. Allow to cool until shells are cool enough to handle and peel.
- Roughly chop the eggs and place into a large mixing bowl. Add ⅔ cubed avocado, sour cream, Dijon, garlic salt, lemon pepper, hot sauce and onion powder. Use a potato masher to blend leaving mixture chunky.
- Add the tomato, onion and pickles. Mix well. Gently fold in remaining cubed avocado. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Place into an airtight container adding one avocado pit. Press plastic wrap directly on top of egg salad.
- Allow to chill for 4 hours until serving. (Recommend Onion Rolls for serving)
- Chopped pickled jalapenos to taste may be added, if desired.
- Adding the avocado pit is believed to slow oxidation and discoloration of avocado.