Elevate your egg salad game with this Avocado Egg Salad that's made without mayonnaise and yet still turns out with a smooth velvety finish. Simple seasonings, fresh lime juice, finely diced tomato, tangy red onion and additional chunks of avocado are mixed with a dollop of sour cream and sweet pickles that takes it over the top. Serve it on a sweet onion roll to seal the deal.
Avocado Egg Salad Leaves the Mayo Behind
Personally, I adore mayonnaise but, I know not everyone shares my zeal for it. While it is my "go to" for my classic egg salad I must admit when I whip-up a batch of this Avocado Egg Salad I don't miss it at all. In this recipe I prefer to mash most of the avocado but, love to mix-in some chunks of avocado too, to give it a fantastic contrast in texture. Chopped pickled jalapeno will give it a bit of heat, if you're so inclined. I like to serve this egg salad in lettuce wraps, on croissants or sweet onion rolls for quick meals and snacking.
Other Ways To Enjoy Egg Salad
Egg salad is one of those refrigerator salads that are handy to have in the fridge for light meals and snacking. It was often found in my Mom's fridge tucked right beside the pimento cheese and I have kept the same tradition for my own family. Serve it on slider rolls, croissants or between two slices of homemade bread.
Other Easy Refrigerator Salads to Add to the Menu
Prepared salads can be lifesaver after a hectic day. Other recipes you may like to try:
- Easy Southern Style Chicken Salad.
- BLT Potato Salad is a meal all on it's own.
- Flavorful Chicken Pasta Salad.
- Add a bit of heat to your egg salad with this Curried Egg Salad from Family Food on the Table.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Avocado Egg Salad
- 8 large eggs
- 3 medium avocados peeled and cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato seeded and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced sweet pickles
- Place the eggs in a medium-size saucepan. Cover with enough water to cover by at least inch depth. Bring to a boil. Boil for 12 minutes. Remove from stovetop and drain hot water. Cover with cold water. Allow to cool until shells are cool enough to handle and peel.
- Roughly chop the eggs and place into a large mixing bowl. Add ⅔ cubed avocado, sour cream, Dijon, garlic salt, lemon pepper, hot sauce and onion powder. Use a potato masher to blend leaving mixture chunky.
- Add the tomato, onion and pickles. Mix well. Gently fold in remaining cubed avocado. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Place into an airtight container adding one avocado pit. Press plastic wrap directly on top of egg salad.
- Allow to chill for 4 hours until serving. (Recommend Onion Rolls for serving)
- Chopped pickled jalapenos to taste may be added, if desired.
- Adding the avocado pit is believed to slow oxidation and discoloration of avocado.
This is absolutely delicious, and easy to make.
I'm so happy you enjoyed it!
Hi Melissa, I tried the avocado egg salad and loved it! Do you have the nutritional values for the recipe? Thank you!
Thanks Lisa, I love this one, too! Those values are at the bottom of the recipe template.