Bacon Cheeseburger Swirl Bread - This swirl bread was a result of my family wanting burgers for dinner but, I didn't have hamburger buns on hand. You all know that moment when you begin to think of ways to improvise just to get a meal on the table and satisfy your hungry eaters. Since my kids enjoy making their own pizzas, I usually have prepared pizza dough of some kind on hand.
As it turns out, pizza dough is one of my favorite "go to" ingredients for making quick dinners. So, I decided to roll-up our cheeseburgers with all of the fixins' and bake them. After serving it once, this bacon-cheeseburger bread is requested as often as traditional burgers on a bun. It's a fun bread to make, serve and eat and it's terrific too or those sports filled days when you're on the go.
Bacon Cheeseburger Swirl Bread
- 1 [13.4 oz] can refrigerated pizza dough [such as Pillsbury Classic] or 1 lb homemade pizza dough
- olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion small dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- garlic salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- ¼-1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp dill pickles small dice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a saucepan, cook the diced onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil until it begins to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground beef. Season with garlic alt and black pepper to your taste. Cook until browned and no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce continuing to cook for 1-2 minutes then set aside to cool. [Tip: The ground beef can be cooked in advance, and refrigerated until you're ready to assemble the swirl bread for a time saver.]
- To assemble: Stretch the dough into roughly a 10 x 13 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Arrange the cooked ground beef and bacon on top. Drizzle with ketchup and mustard.
- Top with chopped dill pickles.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Begin rolling from the widest edge ending seam side down. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet, or in this case,
- Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt, onion powder and 1 tsp of sesame seeds. [dried parsley, if desired]
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the top is golden.
- Rest for 8-10 minutes before cutting into 1-inch slices.