These kickin’ Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies are the epitome of party food. Tiny smoked sausages are wrapped with maple flavored bacon then tossed in a brown sugar coating that’s spiced with a touch of ground chipotle pepper. Bake them in the oven until the bacon is crispy then serve them with sweet barbecue sauce on the side for dipping.
Easy Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies Recipe
I’m not certain who thought to wrap cocktail sausages in bacon, but it’s a fantastic idea. My boys gobble them up by the hand full. It doesn’t matter the season or what the current sport obsession is, it seems delicious party and game day food simply has to be included on the menu. Well, that and something wrapped in bacon. This recipe is one of my favorite ways to prepare little smokies and we particularly enjoy them wrapped in maple flavored bacon. It compliments the spice of the ground chipotle pepper beautifully. How to make simple Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies:
- Ingredients – Maple flavored bacon or classic bacon.
- Meat – One 14 ounce package of little smokies, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Coating – Light brown sugar plus ground chipotle or ancho chili powder for heat.
- Dipping Sauce – Barbecue sauce, maple syrup, Dijon mustard or any of your favorite dipping sauces.
- Instructions for Making Smokies – Remove the little smokies from packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Wrap – Wrap each smokie with one third piece of bacon. Secure through the middle with a toothpick.
- Brown Sugar and Chipotle Coating – In a gallon size bag mix together the brown sugar and ground chipotle pepper. Add the bacon wrapped smokies to the bag. Seal and gently shake until evenly coated.
- Bake – Arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bacon has crisped.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce, if desired.
How to Make the Best Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies Recipe
Barbecue is the Sauce of Choice for our Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies. North Carolina is well know for it’s love of pork and barbecue and it seems only fitting that I serve these with barbecue sauce on the side for dipping. Serve them as a game or race day appetizer or part of your fun weekend munchies and you’ll be the most popular house on the block. On second thought, go ahead and double the recipe. You’ll be so happy that you did.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies: One 14 ounce packages li’l smokies, drained and dried, maple flavored bacon, light brown sugar and dry chipotle pepper or ancho chili powder. You could also use dark chili powder.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large sheet pan fitted with an oven safe rack or broiler pan, one gallon size Ziploc bag, measuring cups and spoons, toothpicks or mini skewers, a sharp knife and cutting board.
- I add ground chipotle pepper to the brown sugar coating to give these smokies a little kick. You can omit it or add more to your taste if you really want to bring the heat.
- You can wrap the smokies with bacon one day in advance and store chilled in the refrigerator for a time saver. Wait and toss with the brown sugar and chipotle pepper just before baking.
- If using a sheet pan, line the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil to facilitate clean-up.
- Store leftover Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar smokies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven or in the microwave.
More Southern Style Appetizer Recipes to Make
There’s never a wrong time or occasion to have small bites on the menu to get things started. More easy appetizer recipe you may like to try:
- Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Kabobs come with easy clean-up, too.
- Whip-up a batch of my Southern Pimento Cheese and serve it with celery stocks, crackers, pretzels or fritos for dipping.
- These Irish inspired Reuben Nachos are made using waffle fries.
- My Crab Rangoon recipe is better than any you’ll pay top dollar for in a restaurant.
- Easy Italian Meatball Bites are simple to put together with just a few ingredients.
- Country Ham and Cheese Biscuit Bites are a fan favorite.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Spring Rolls are crispy and delicious.
- Strawberry Pineapple Salsa from Real Housemoms.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Bacon Wrapped Brown Sugar Smokies
- 1 14-oz package ‘lil smokies cocktail links
- 1 lb maple flavored bacon cut into thirds
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle or ancho chili pepper
- Barbecue sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil spritzed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Remove the little smokies from packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Wrap each smokie with one piece of bacon. Secure through the middle with a toothpick.
- In a gallon size bag mix together the brown sugar and ground chipotle pepper.
- Add the bacon wrapped smokies to the bag. Seal and gently shake until evenly coated.
- Arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the bacon has crisped.
- Serve immediately with barbecue sauce, if desired.