This post brought to you by Ortega®
Enjoy these Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos with Avocado Cream for a delicious quick meal option that’s suitable for a weekday meal or a laid back week-end fiesta. Skirt steak provides a tasty option for steak tacos, and after coating the meat with a flavorful rub, the only thing left to do is the grilling and chilling.
Easy Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos Recipe
Ortega has introduced a new flat bottomed crispy corn taco called Ortega® Fiesta Flats.™ When they reached out to ask if I would try them and develop a recipe using them our favorite skirt steak tacos immediately came to mind. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo too so, the timing couldn’t have been better.
How to Make the Best Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos: Flat or classic taco shells, skirt steak, chili powder, lime juice, olive oil, ground cumin, garlic salt, avocados and sour cream. Plus, lettuce, tomatoes, pickled or fresh jalapenos and shredded cheese for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Small bowl, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, grill pan or outdoor grill, medium bowl for making avocado cream.
- The beauty of flat shells is that once you fill them, all of the skirt steak and toppings stay inside the shell. They are a bit reminiscent of an open faced taco. You can of course, use any crunchy taco shell to create your own skirt steak tacos.
- Allow ample time for the skirt steak to marinade in the rub. You can make it up to one day in advance and have it ready to grill just before serving.
- We filled ours with skirt steak tacos with shredded lettuce and cheese plus a few more of our favorite toppings. For the crowning touch, a generous dollop of avocado cream on top.
- Topping suggestions for dressing your tacos: A batch of homemade pico de gallo, fresh guacamole or a side of layered taco dip for munching.
- Store leftover Chili Lime Skirt Steak chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in an air fryer, or transform into quesadillas, or serve on top of your favorite salad greens.
More Easy Mexican Recipes to Make
- This Enchilada Casserole is a family pleasing fusion dish.
- You could serve this Easy Corn Salsa on the side with tortilla chips or sprinkled on tacos and salads.
- These Tachos use tater tots as a base in place of tortilla chips.
- Start your morning with these loaded up Breakfast Burritos.
- Smooth Restaurant Style Salsa is addictive!
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas make the perfect busy day meal. Just place everything on a sheet pan and let the oven do the work.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Ortega. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share brands with you that I enjoy.
Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos With Avocado Cream
- 8 Ortega® Fiesta Flats™ OR crunchy taco shells
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt divided
- 2 medium Haas avocados
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- Assorted toppings: shredded lettuce shredded Colby-jack cheese, pico de gallo, avocado cream
- Rinse and pat dry the skirt steak.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dark chili powder, 1 Tbsp lime juice, olive oil, cumin and 1/2 tsp garlic salt until it forms a paste.
- Rub over the skirt steak then put into a storage bag to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To prepare: Oil a stovetop grill pan with a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Heat to high.
- Sear the steak then lower the temperature to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the grill pan to a cutting board and rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak rests, peel and pit the avocados.
- Mix with 3 Tbsp of sour cream, 1 1/2 tsp lime juice and 1/4 tsp garlic salt.
- Carve the skirt steak across the grain, then build on the Ortega® Fiesta Flats™ using your favorite toppings.
- Serve immediately.