Chili Lime Skirt Steak Tacos With Avocado Cream – Tacos using these Ortega® Fiesta Flats™ are a fantastic quick meal option suitable for a low-stress weekday meal or a laid back week-end fiesta. Skirt steak provides a tasty option for steak tacos, and after coating the meat with a flavorful rub the only thing left to do is the gillin’ and chilin.’ Ortega has introduced a new flat bottomed crispy corn taco called Ortega® Fiesta Flats.™ When they reached out to ask if I would try them and develop a recipe using them skirt steak tacos immediately came to mind. Just in time for Cinco De Mayo too so, the timing couldn’t have been better.
What my family loves about these Fiesta Flats besides the crunch, is that once you fill them, all of the goodies stay inside the shell. They are a bit reminiscent of an open faced taco. We filled the Fiesta Flats with grilled chili-lime skirt steak, shredded lettuce along with our favorite taco toppings. For the crowning touch, a generous dollop of avocado cream on top. They are spectacular in both ease of preparation and convenience. I can see how these Ortega® Fiesta Flats™ could be filled with 7-layer dip and served as an appetizer or snack, too. The flat bottom would make them easy to display and simple for your guests to pick-up to enjoy.
- 8 Ortega® Fiesta Flats™
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp plus 1½ tsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp garlic salt, divided
- 2 medium Haas avocados
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- Assorted toppings: shredded lettuce, shredded Colby-jack cheese, pico de gallo, avocado cream
- Rinse and pat dry the skirt steak.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dark chili powder, 1 Tbsp lime juice, olive oil, cumin and ½ tsp garlic salt until it forms a paste.
- Rub over the skirt steak then put into a storage bag to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To prepare: Oil a stovetop grill pan with a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Heat to high.
- Sear the steak then lower the temperature to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the grill pan to a cutting board and rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak rests, peel and pit the avocados.
- Mix with 3 Tbsp of sour cream, 1½ tsp lime juice and ¼ tsp garlic salt.
- Carve the skirt steak across the grain, then build on the Ortega® Fiesta Flats™ using your favorite toppings.
- Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Ortega. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share brands with you that I enjoy.