This uptown Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake is a riff on the potluck classic eclair cake that we all love. Cherries and chocolate are a classic flavor combination that doesn't disappoint in this spectacular sheet pan dessert.
Easy Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake Recipe
Eclair cake is one of those no bake desserts that tends to be a hot favorite for potlucks. It's sort of an old school desserts that never gets old. A classic eclair cake like this recipe one from Culinary Hill is made using layers of graham crackers and pudding then topped with chocolate frosting. This chocolate cherry variation is a riff on that classic combo. It seemed like the perfect twist to me and after experimenting with ingredients and amounts this one hit our proverbial sweet spot.
Chocolate Covered Cherries Inspired this Eclair Cake Recipe
Chocolate covered cherries begin showing up on store shelves during the holiday season. They really are a vintage sweet and I loved adapting that flavor combination to an eclair cake. The trio of flavors formed by the creamy cherry filling, maraschino cherries and a homemade fudge topping is certain to bring this recipe to one of your "go to" special occasion desserts.
No-Bake Eclair Cakes are a Dessert Win
I'm not sure what I like most the flavor combination or the fact that this cake requires no baking at all. I think it's both. I love to garnish with whipped cream and a cherry on top giving the eclair cake a special piece for 16 special individuals. Make this no-bake dessert one day in advance, and have it ready to satisfy your sweet tooth on a busy day and your family will go nuts for it. If you're a diehard chocoholic checkout my recipe for Death By Chocolate Eclair Cake, too.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake
- 1 14 oz package chocolate graham crackers
- 3 3.4 oz boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 10 oz jar sliced maraschino cherries, drained reserve ½ cup juice
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Whipped topping and maraschino cherries with stems for garnishing optional
- In a large mixing bowl, whip together the packages of instant pudding mix, milk, ½ cup reserved maraschino cherries juice and ½ tsp almond extract. Whip with a hand mixer for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Mix in 8 oz whipped topping and sliced maraschino cherries by hand.
- To assemble: In a non stick 13 x 9-inch baking dish arrange a layer of chocolate graham crackers side by side. Pour ½ of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
- Arrange another layer of chocolate graham crackers and the remaining pudding. Spread evenly. Finish with a final layer of graham crackers.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt together the butter, cream and cocoa powder cooking over medium heat stirring constantly just until combined. Remove from the heat and add ½ tsp almond extract.
- Gradually beat the powdered sugar in with a hand mixer until smooth. Pour over the top layer of graham crackers. Spread evenly and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with additional whipped topping and maraschino cherries, if desired.. Store chilled