This uptown Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake is a riff on the potluck classic eclair cake. In it, maraschino cherries, cheesecake pudding and a homemade fudgy chocolate topping combine to form this spectacular sheet pan dessert.
Easy Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake Recipe
Eclair cake is one of those no bake desserts that tends to be a hot favorite for potlucks. It's sort of an old school desserts that never gets old. A classic eclair cake like this recipe one from Culinary Hill is made using layers of graham crackers and pudding then topped with chocolate frosting. This chocolate cherry variation is a riff on that classic combo. It seemed like the perfect twist to me and after experimenting with ingredients and amounts this one hit our proverbial sweet spot.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake Recipe
Chocolate covered cherries begin showing up on store shelves during the holiday season and that flavor is what inspired this variation of eclair cakes. They're really are a vintage sweet and I loved adapting that flavor combination to this eclair cake recipe. The trio of flavors formed by the creamy cherry filling, maraschino cherries and a homemade fudge topping is certain to elevate this recipe to one of your go to special occasion desserts.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake: Chocolate graham crackers, maraschino cherries, instant cheesecake pudding mix, almond extract, whole milk and frozen whipped topping, thawed. (i.e. Cool Whip or similar)
- For the chocolate topping you'll need: Butter, cocoa powder, heavy cream and powdered sugar plus additional Cool whip and maraschino cherries for garnishing.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch dish or cake pan, a stand mixer or a hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, a medium saucepan and a rubber spatula. To decorate as pictured you'll need a piping bag fitted with a jumbo open star tip.
- Cheesecake flavored instant pudding is delicious in this recipe. In a pinch, you could use white chocolate instant pudding mix.
- This eclair cake recipe uses frozen whipped topping for the filling and garnishing. If you want to make your own whipped cream, you can. You'll need 2 cups of sweetened whipped cream for the filling plus additional for the top.
- How do you make homemade whipped cream? Place the beaters and medium size mixing bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes. Add 2 cups of heavy cream with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the mixing bowl, then beat on medium high speed for a few seconds, Lower the speed of the mixer and gradually add ¼-1/3 cup of granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form, then proceed with the recipe as written. This will make ample for the filling and garnishing.
- Store Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Cherry Dessert Recipes to Make
I'm not sure what I like most the flavor combination or the fact that this eclair cake requires no baking at all. I think it's both. I love to garnish with whipped cream and a cherry on top giving the eclair cake a special piece for 16 special individuals. Make this no-bake dessert one day in advance, and have it ready to satisfy your sweet tooth on a busy day and your family will go nuts for it. If you're a diehard chocoholic checkout my recipe for Death By Chocolate Eclair Cake, too.
- Cherry Pie Fluff is another no bake dessert you'll love.
- White Chocolate Cherry Pudding Cookies are a fan favorite.
- Cherry Pie Crumb Bars are a cake mix hack that are so easy to make.
- Start your morning with a Cherry Danish drizzled with cream cheese glaze.
- Cherry Coca Cola Cake is a twist on a Southern classic chocolate cake.
- Individual Cherry Hand Pies.
- White Chocolate Cherry Pound Cake is delicious and pretty, too!
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Cherry Eclair Cake
- 1 14 oz package chocolate graham crackers
- 3 3.4 oz boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 10 oz jar sliced maraschino cherries, drained reserve ½ cup juice
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Whipped topping and maraschino cherries with stems for garnishing optional
- In a large mixing bowl, whip together the packages of instant pudding mix, milk, ½ cup reserved maraschino cherries juice and ½ teaspoon almond extract. Whip with a hand mixer for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Mix in 8 oz whipped topping and sliced maraschino cherries by hand.
- To assemble: In a non stick 13 x 9-inch baking dish arrange a layer of chocolate graham crackers side by side. Pour ½ of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
- Arrange another layer of chocolate graham crackers and the remaining pudding. Spread evenly. Finish with a final layer of graham crackers.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt together the butter, cream and cocoa powder cooking over medium heat stirring constantly just until combined. Remove from the heat and add ½ teaspoon almond extract.
- Gradually beat the powdered sugar in with a hand mixer until smooth. Pour over the top layer of graham crackers. Spread evenly and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with additional whipped topping and maraschino cherries, if desired.. Store chilled
Can i use almond milk i n this recipe
I've not tested it but, it should work.
Can it be made with raspberries instead of cherries?
I make this recipe just as it's written. However, if you're handy in the kitchen it could probably be adapted. If you try it let me know how it goes.
Gonna make this for dessert with the chili cheese Frito pie.