These Easy Cherry Pie Crumb Bars are a simple-to-make handheld treat that require just a few pantry ingredients to pull together. They begin with a cake mix, tossed with melted butter, an egg and oats then topped with cherry pie filling. Serve them at room temperature or while they're still warm topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. They're so very simple they're bound to become a baking success story for bakers of all skill levels.
Easy Cherry Pie Crumb Bars
I'm always thinking and dreaming about the recipes to share with you here on my website. I recall a conversation I had recently with a friend saying, that she had made raspberry crumb bars using cake mix. I've doctored cookie mix in the past to make cookie bars so, it made perfect sense to use a cake mix in the same way. I can see why using this technique would be appealing, as it truly comes together in minutes with little measuring and no special equipment. I chose to make these with cherry pie filling but, you could fill them with apple, blueberry or strawberry as well depending on the occasion.
Handheld Cherry Pie
This recipe is one that you can get creative and have fun with when choosing the flavor combination you like. Choose a different flavor of pie filling or switching out the type of nuts used, will create flavor twists to take you in a different direction. I've adapted recipes cherry pie filling to make cherry pineapple dump cake, as cherry cheesecake and cherry danish for a brunch and tea time dessert. These Cherry Pie Cupcakes from Spend with Pennies would make a delicious addition to a birthday party, too.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Cherry Pie Crumb Bars
- 1 15.25 oz box white or yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats divided
- ½ cup chopped pecans or almonds
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 21 oz can premium cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spritz the bottom and 1-inch up the side of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using a fork sift together the cake mix, ½ cup oats and chopped nuts.
- Add the melted butter and egg. Mix until fully moistened. Remove 1 cup mixture to a separate bowl.
- Press the remaining dough onto the bottom of the dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bottom crust is baking add the remaining ¼ cup oats to the reserved dough. Mix just until incorporated and crumbly.
- After 15 minutes remove from the oven and spread the pie filling over the crust. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cut into 16 squares or 32 triangles and serve warm with ice cream or at room temperature.
- Store tightly sealed chilled or at room temperature.