These Easy Cherry Pie Crumb Bars are a simple-to-make bite size treat and require just a few pantry ingredients to pull together. They begin with a cake mix, tossed with melted butter, an egg and oats then topped with cherry pie filling. Serve them at room temperature or while they’re still warm topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. They’re so very simple they’re bound to become a baking success story for bakers of all skill levels.
I’m always thinking and dreaming about the recipes to share with you here on my website. I recalled a conversation I had recently with a friend saying she had made raspberry crumb bars using cake mix. I’ve doctored cookie mix in the past to make cookie bars but, not cake mix. I can see why using this technique would be appealing as it truly comes together in minutes with little measuring and no special equipment. I chose to make these with cherry pie filling but, you could fill them with apple, blueberry or strawberry as well depending on the occasion.
Check out more easy Cherry Pie recipes like these
Easy Cherry Pie Crumb Bars
- 1 15-oz box white or yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or almonds
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 21-oz can premium cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spritz the bottom and 1-inch up the side of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using a fork sift together the cake mix, 1/2 cup oats and chopped nuts.
- Add the melted butter and egg. Mix until fully moistened. Remove 1 cup mixture to a separate bowl.
- Press the remaining dough onto the bottom of the dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bottom crust is baking add the remaining 1/4 cup oats to the reserved dough. Mix just until incorporated and crumbly.
- After 15 minutes remove from the oven and spread the pie filling over the crust. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cut into 16 squares or 32 triangles and serve warm with ice cream or at room temperature.
- Store tightly sealed chilled or at room temperature.