This gooey and decadent Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie is not for the sugar shy. It's filled with chunks of chocolate encased in a buttery homemade cookie dough that bakes beautifully golden. Top it with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce to seal the deal.
Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
The appeal of cookies knows no bounds. It's not specific to any age group, and warm cookies never fail to satisfy a sweets craving. Or perhaps, that's just me. Nonetheless, there's something about baking cookies that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and it's also guaranteed to thrill the people around you.
Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie Baking Tips
- I bake this cookie in a cast iron pan which works like a charm for even baking and browning. You can certainly make it in any similar size oven safe skillet or baking dish.
- If you prefer, you can use the same amount of chocolate chips in place of chocolate chunks for this recipe.
- Bake this cookie until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs. It's perfectly fine to enjoy this while gooey and slightly under baked, we often do.
- You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe.
- This cookie dough is specifically designed for baking in a skillet or baking dish and not for dividing into individual cookies.
- Nuts are optional but, add such a depth of flavor, I highly recommend adding them. Walnuts or pecans work equally well, go with your preference or what you have on hand.
- The cookie puffs up while baking but will settle as it sits. Allow at least 15 minutes before scooping and serving. You don't have to cut this into perfect pieces to enjoy.
- Ice cream and chocolate sauce make a decadent finish.
Other Cookie Recipes to Try
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
- 1 cup salted or unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 11.5 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chunks divided, reserving ⅓ cup for top
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans See Cook's note
- vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush bottom and sides of a 10 inch cast iron skillet with 1 Tbsp from melted butter.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl mix together remaining butter with brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add chocolate chunks and nuts. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread dough evenly in skillet. Arrange reserved ⅓ cup chocolate chunks on top pressing into the dough. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cookie portion shows moist crumbs. The cookie should be slightly gooey. (Check at 30 minutes and lay foil on top to prevent over browning)
- Cool for 15 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce, if desired.