Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- To make the enchilada sauce you'll need:
- 1/2 cup sweet onion finely diced
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne optional
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- For the filling:
- 4 oz onion and chive cream cheese
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 4 oz can fire roasted green chilies
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas OR 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- Accompaniments: shredded lettuce diced tomato, sliced jalapeno, sliced olives, green onion, light sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the enchilada sauce: In a small stove top pan, saute the chopped onion in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil until it becomes soft and is beginning to brown.
- Lower the heat and add the tomato sauce, 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ground chipotle pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the warm enchilada sauce, 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning and the entire can of green chilies. Mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir until the chicken is evenly coated.
- To assemble: Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish to keep the tortillas from sticking.
- Divide the chicken evenly among the 6 tortillas.
- Spread the chicken down the middle of each tortilla, then top with shredded cheese, reserving half of the cheese for the top. Roll the enchiladas then place them, side by side, seam side down, in the baking dish.
- Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas, and place into the oven. Bake for 22 minutes, then remove, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and return to the oven. Continue to bake for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The sauce also freezes well.