Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are a regular rotation on our dinner menu. Every week, my family wants at least one Mexican or Southwestern inspired dish for dinner. So, I decided to take a vote, and it was unanimous that our Mexican inspired dish for this week would be enchiladas. A rotisserie chicken takes the stress out of the filling and when mixed with cream cheese, seasonings and a homemade red sauce they're ready to rock and roll. Plenty of gooey cheese for the top then your favorite taco toppings finishes them off.
Helpful Tips for Making Chicken Enchiladas
- I typically make my own enchilada sauce, because I prefer mixing up my own spice combination and making it to our specific taste. Once I walk you through it, you'll see how easy making your own sauce can be.
- You can also make the filling and the sauce in advance, and chill until you're readyh to assemble. Doing so will expedite dinner prep.
- This enchilada dish is a fantastic choice for a quick weeknight meal, and I like to serve it with a simple fresh salad pico de gallo and guacamole on the side. It's a family pleasing meal.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Creamy Shrimp Enchiladas from Will Cook for Smiles.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Servings: 6 servings
- To make the enchilada sauce you'll need:
- ½ cup sweet onion finely diced
- 1-2 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne optional
- ⅛ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- For the filling:
- 4 oz onion and chive cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 4 oz can fire roasted green chilies
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas OR 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- Accompaniments: shredded lettuce diced tomato, sliced jalapeno, sliced olives, green onion, light sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the enchilada sauce: In a small stove top pan, saute the chopped onion in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil until it becomes soft and is beginning to brown.
- Lower the heat and add the tomato sauce, 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and ⅛ teaspoon each of cinnamon, ground chipotle pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the softened cream cheese, ¼ cup of the warm enchilada sauce, 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning and the entire can of green chilies. Mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and stir until the chicken is evenly coated.
- To assemble: Spread ¼ cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish to keep the tortillas from sticking.
- Divide the chicken evenly among the 6 tortillas.
- Spread the chicken down the middle of each tortilla, then top with shredded cheese, reserving half of the cheese for the top. Roll the enchiladas then place them, side by side, seam side down, in the baking dish.
- Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas, and place into the oven. Bake for 22 minutes, then remove, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and return to the oven. Continue to bake for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The sauce also freezes well.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 610mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 477IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 339mg | Iron: 2mg