This mouthwatering Lasagna Soup is certain to bring the family to the table in a hurry. It features all of the flavors found in classic baked lasagna made easy in the form of a soup. It's delicious to the very last spoonful.
Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
Kitchen tools needed to make lasagna soup: When it comes to making a comfort filled soup like this one, I love making it in my 6 quart Dutch oven. You could also utilize a similar size deep soup pot. You'll also need measuring cups and spoons, a chopping board and sharp knife for dicing the onion, mincing garlic cloves and chopping the parsley. Of course, you'll need a large spoon for stirring and a cheese grater. A ladle is handy for pouring into soup bowls before serving.
How to Make the Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
If you love Italian inspired entrées but find yourself short on time, this soup is just the ticket for an Italian feast at home. You can store leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave in single serving portions.
Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Lasagna Soup:
- You can use mild or spicy Italian sausage for this soup recipe. If you choose to use spicy sausage you can adjust the amount or omit the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Diced sweet onion, garlic cloves and olive oil.
- Low sodium beef broth. If using regular beef broth, adjust the mount of salt to your taste.
- Canned crushed tomatoes in addition to canned diced tomatoes for texture.
- Tomato paste is used for thickening the soup. You can use plain tomato paste or tomato paste that's been seasoned with Italian seasonings such as garlic and oregano.
- Dry Italian seasoning, table salt and black pepper plus crushed red pepper flakes to give it a little heat. Red pepper flakes can be omitted or adapted using more or less to your taste.
- Regular lasagna noodles, broken into pieces. This recipes uses classic lasagna noodles not no-boil noodles.
- Fresh chopped Italian parsley or fresh basil.
- Suggested toppings: Ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh Italian parsley or chiffonade of basil.
- Side dishes to serve with lasagna soup are much the same that you would enjoy with classic lasagna. Cheesy Garlic and Herb Bread or Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Rolls would be delish.
- A Seven Layer Salad , Broccoli Salad or a fresh baby Spinach Salad would work.
Other Southern Style Lasagna Recipes to Make
Whether you're making dinner for the family or entertaining friends, lasagna is always a crowd favorite. Other recipes you may like to try:
- Cheesy Chicken Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna features a white sauce that's rich and creamy.
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Lasagna can be assembled in your slow cooker then it bakes while you go about your day.
- Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna is a fun twist on an Italian classic.
- Easy Cheesy Lasagna is made with no boil noodles.
- Vegetarian Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna from Simply Recipes
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth plus additional as needed to thin
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon Italian seasoned tomato paste plus additional as needed to thicken
- 2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 lasagna noodles cup or broken into 1 - 1 ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley or fresh basil
- Toppings: Ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan, shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh Italian parsley
- In a large pot or 6 quart Dutch oven, cook Italian sausage and onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute longer. Drain any excess fat from the pot.
- To the pot add beef broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, mix well. Cover and immediately lower heat to a simmer. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, add broken lasagna pieces and Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Simmer covered for another 15 minutes or just until the noodles are tender.
- Uncover, check thickness. Add additional beef broth to thin or additional tomato paste to thicken to your taste.
- Let stand uncovered for 5 minutes before serving. Serve topped with shredded mozzarella, a dollop of ricotta, grated Parmesan and parsley or basil.
Fantastic recipe! I stead of standard lasagna noodles, I use mini lasagna noodles--they're tiny and require no breaking, roughly the side of a small bow-tie pasta. They're Hy-Vee brand; I'm not sure if other brands carry a similar product.
Hi Tim, I'm so happy you enjoyed it!
Making this tonight! Looks delicious! I am going to use half ground beef and half mild Italian sausage. Yummy!!! Thank you for the recipe 🙂 Chelsy
This looks fantastic. What a great way to get the best of both lasagna and soup. This looks like the perfect hearty meal on a cold day. Going to give this a try.
Thanks so much!
Could you substitute cottage cheese for ricotta?
If that's your preference, sure. You can pulse cottage cheese in a food processor to smooth, if desired.
Earlier this week you post a recipe for strawberry cookies using a strawberry cake mix. I want to try this recipe but can't find it. Would you please post it again. Thank you. June
Hi June, that was probably on my Facebook page. Search my page as that recipe is from a friend.
Can ground beef be substituted for Italian sausage??
Absolutely, in the same amount. You could even use half of each, if desired.
Ground beef is a delicious substitute in our opinion. It also acts as a thickener.
I make lasagna soup in my crockpot.