You can have this amazing Smothered Asiago Chicken is topped with spinach and mushrooms ready to eat in under 30 minutes. It's a lighter dinner, packed with flavor and texture, too.
Smothered Asiago Chicken with Spinach and Mushrooms
I really gravitate to dishes that are simple to put together and flavorful to boot. Entrees that are quick and simple are what weekday meals are made for. Simple dishes like bacon wrapped barbecue chicken and pepperoni pizza chicken can be popped into the oven while you whip-up the complimentary sides. The same is true for this easy chicken breast recipe. To make it, the chicken pieces are seasoned and seared then smothered with spinach and mushrooms then topped with the robust flavor of Asiago cheese. It's one of those everyday dishes that I love to make, and it's special enough to serve to company.
Tips for Smothered Chicken Making Success
- This recipe was made with 5 chicken breasts, but can easily be made using the same amount of ingredients with 4 or 6 chicken pieces, depending on the size of your family.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for optimum flavor saturation.
- To lighten up this dish, use less oil and light butter. Alternatively, you can omit one or the other, if preferred.
- You can use light or fat free Italian dressing.
- Have fun with the seasonings this dish leaves plenty of room to personalize to your taste.
- The chicken for this dish is pan seared then the spinach and mushrooms are cooked in the same pan to take advantage of the flavor left behind after searing the chicken. It can be transferred to a baking sheet to finish or start with an oven safe skillet and you'll be good to go.
Other Chicken Recipes to Add to the Menu
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken will bring the heat to meal time.
- Easy Chipotle Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches will get dinner on the table in a hurry.
- Better than take out Crispy Chicken Sandwich.
- Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken Breasts only need 4 ingredients to make.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Smothered Asiago Chicken
- 4 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 12 oz prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 tsp Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms cremini, button, portabella [your preference]
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or light butter
- salt and black pepper
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes [more or less to your taste]
- 12 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag and pour Italian dressing on top. Place into the fridge and marinate overnight.
- To prepare, remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Season the chicken on both sides with Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil and add 2 Tbsp of butter or light butter.
- Sear the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Adjust the time based on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Remove to a platter, cover and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes then add the sliced green onions and minced garlic. Add additional olive oil, if needed. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook for around 2-3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the baby spinach. Saute until the spinach wilts and the juice evaporates.
- Spoon sauteed vegetables on top of chicken pieces. Sprinkle each with Asiago cheese. Sprinkle the tops with additional Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning, if desired.
- Transfer skillet to the oven or place chicken pieces on a prepared baking sheet if skillet used isn't oven safe. Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediatey.
- To lighten up these chicken breasts omit the butter and use less oil.
- You can also use light or fat free Italian dressing