You can have this amazing Smothered Asiago Chicken topped with spinach and mushrooms on the table in under 30 minutes. It makes a lighter dinner packed with flavor and texture, too.
Easy Smothered Asiago Chicken with Spinach and Mushrooms Recipe
I really gravitate to dishes that are simple to put together and flavorful to boot. Entrees that are quick and simple are what weekday meals are made for. Simple dishes like bacon wrapped barbecue chicken and pepperoni pizza chicken can be popped into the oven while you whip-up the complimentary sides. The same is true for this easy chicken breast recipe. To make it, the chicken pieces are seasoned and seared then smothered with spinach and mushrooms then topped with the robust flavor of Asiago cheese. It’s one of those everyday dishes that I love to make, and it’s special enough to serve to company.
How to Make the Best Smothered Asiago Chicken Recipe
This recipe is one that will serve the lower carb eaters at your table in addition to the Italian fans with aside of pasta. It’s also fabulous with cranberry almond rice pilaf, garlic herb mashed potatoes or any of your favorite side dish recipes.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for Smothered Asiago Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, prepared Italian dressing, use you favorite brand. You’ll also need Mediterranean herb or rotisseries chicken seasoning, sliced mushrooms, olive oil, butter, salt, black pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, baby spinach leaves and shredded Asiago cheese.
- The chicken for this dish is seasoned and then pan seared. Once removed to a pan, the spinach and mushrooms are cooked in the same pan to take advantage of the flavor left behind after searing the chicken. It can be transferred to a baking sheet to finish or start the process using an oven safe skillet and you’ll be good to go.
- This recipe was made with 5 chicken breasts, but can easily be made using the same amount of ingredients with 4 or 6 chicken pieces, depending on the size of your family. It’s easily adaptable.
- I highly recommend marinating the chicken overnight in the refrigerator for optimum flavor saturation.
- To lighten up this dish, you could use less oil and light butter. Alternatively, you can omit one or the other, if preferred.
- You can use light or fat free Italian dressing for the marinade.
- Have fun with the seasonings this dish leaves plenty of room to personalize to your taste.
- Store leftover Asiago chicken in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat gently in the microwave.
More Southern Style Chicken Recipes to Make
Boneless chicken, bone in chicken, chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks we love them all! It’s affordable and readily available at the market which makes that a win for a busy Mom. More chicken recipes you may like to try:
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken will bring the heat to meal time.
- Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles are may with boneless chicken breasts.
- Easy Everything Bagel Chicken Breasts will get dinner on the table in a hurry.
- Better than take out Crispy Chicken Sandwich.
- Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken Breasts only need 4 ingredients to make.
- You may also like this recipe for Asiago Bread from Tastes of Lizzy
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Smothered Asiago Chicken
- 4 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 12 oz prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 tsp Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms cremini, button, portabella [your preference]
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or light butter
- salt and black pepper
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes [more or less to your taste]
- 12 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag and pour Italian dressing on top. Place into the fridge and marinate overnight.
- To prepare, remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Season the chicken on both sides with Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil and add 2 Tbsp of butter or light butter.
- Sear the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Adjust the time based on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Remove to a platter, cover and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes then add the sliced green onions and minced garlic. Add additional olive oil, if needed. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook for around 2-3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the baby spinach. Saute until the spinach wilts and the juice evaporates.
- Spoon sauteed vegetables on top of chicken pieces. Sprinkle each with Asiago cheese. Sprinkle the tops with additional Mediterranean Herb or Rotisserie chicken seasoning, if desired.
- Transfer skillet to the oven or place chicken pieces on a prepared baking sheet if skillet used isn't oven safe. Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediatey.
- To lighten up these chicken breasts omit the butter and use less oil.
- You can also use light or fat free Italian dressing