This lush Drumstick Layered Dessert is a layered dessert that encapsulates everything we love about Drumstick ice cream cones. It begins with a golden crust made of vanilla wafers and chopped peanuts. It's then topped with a creamy white chocolate cheesecake mousse and embellished with crushed waffle cones, peanuts and a drizzle of chocolate ganache. There's no need to freeze this dessert, just chill thoroughly until it's set then cut and serve.
Easy Drumstick Layered Dessert Recipe
Drumstick ice cream is a lifelong favorite of mine. I dare say, probably for many kids of all ages. It's made with classic vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate and salted peanuts. What's not to like, right? To serve it in company form this drumstick layered dessert became a reality in my kitchen when I was preparing to have friends over for dinner. I love to entertain, and my guests seem to always be expecting something special and I couldn't bear to disappoint them. This sort of layered dessert is perfect for any potluck event. It's not necessary to freeze this dessert, but you can if you like.
How to Make the Best Drumstick Layered Dessert Recipe
This dessert is a fun way to serve familiar drumstick flavors to a crowd. They'll love it!
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Drumstick Layered Dessert: The crust is made with crushed vanilla wafers, granulated sugar and melted butter. You could use crushed waffle cones but please note it will take a couple of boxes for making the crust and the crushed cones for the topping. You'll also need two boxes of white chocolate instant pudding mix (you could also use cheesecake flavored) half and half, softened whipped cream cheese, vanilla extract, peanuts, chocolate chips melted with heavy cream to drizzle on top and 5 waffle cones broken into pieces.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, a hand mixer or a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a large silicone spatula, a hand mixer or a stand mixer, a food processor or chopping board and knife to chop the peanuts.
- In this recipe, I opted to use white chocolate instant pudding for the base of the mousse filling, usually found quite easily at my local grocery store including places like Walmart. However, if you're unable to find that flavor cheesecake flavored instant pudding is a terrific substitute. I would choose that first over vanilla.
- If you prefer, you can use crushed sugar cones for the crust instead of vanilla wafers in the same amount. It takes an entire box of sugar cones just for the crust, hence the reason I went with vanilla wafers. I've made it both ways and either way it's delish.
- Do you like lots of hot fudge? Double the amount and you'll be good to go! There's no such thing as too much chocolate.
- The waffle cones on top will naturally soften a bit when chilled. If you're all about the crunch, assemble the Drumstick Layered Dessert and chill it in the refrigerator overnight. Add the waffle cones, peanuts and melted chocolate just before serving.
- Store leftover Drumstick dessert chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Southern Style Layered Desserts to Make
Add these luscious desserts to your specials occasion dessert menu ASAP.
- Banana Split Lush is another fan favorite that goes viral every summer. It's popular at the holidays, too.
- Coconut Cream Lush is like a coconut cream pie on steroids.
- Banana Pudding Lush is a fusion of two desserts in one.
- Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush is a terrific alternative to pumpkin pie.
- Blueberry Yum Yum recipe is always a winner.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Lush from Butter with a Side of Bread.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Drumstick Layered Dessert
- 2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs (OR Sugar Cone Crumbs)
- 1 cup chopped peanuts divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 3.4 oz box white chocolate instant pudding [i.e. Hershey's]
- 4 cup cold half and half
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 16 oz whipped cream cheese softened
- 2 cup sweetened fresh whipped cream or one 8 ounce frozen whipped topping thawed
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips divided (Set aside 1 cup total for the ganache)
- ½ cup heavy cream for the ganache
- 5 sugar cones roughly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a small mixing bowl, toss together the vanilla wafer crumbs, ½ cup chopped peanuts, melted butter and granulated sugar. Press onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and set. Cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip both boxes instant pudding with 4 cups half and half plus vanilla for 2-3 minutes until it's beginning to thicken.
- Add the whipped cream cheese and continue to whip until smooth and combined.
- Fold in the fresh whipped cream by hand. Spread evenly onto the crust.
- Sprinkle the filling with ½ of the reserved mini chocolate chips, ½ of the chopped peanuts and ½ of the crushed sugar cones. Set aside the remaining to garnish the top.
- To make the ganache: Melt 1 cup mini chocolate chips and ½ cup of heavy cream in the microwave in 20 second increments, stopping to stir each time. Repeat this process until smooth.
- Cool the melted chocolate slightly. Drizzle over the first layer of chocolate chips, sugar cone pieces and peanuts.
- While the chocolate is soft, garnish the top with reserved peanuts, chocolate chips and sugar cone pieces.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight before cutting.
- The mini chocolate chips, peanuts and crushed sugar cone pieces are layered once on top of the filling and then again over the chocolate ganache to garnish.
- You can freeze this Drumstick Dessert for up to 3 months.
Could you soften vanilla ice cream and use it as the layer on top of the crust instead of puffing?
If you prefer.
I made this today, and I thought something was missing, maybe more flavoring in the cream cheese mixture. I looked up the recipe again, and in your notes before the recipe, you stated "You'll also need two boxes of white chocolate instant pudding mix (you could also use cheesecake flavored) half and half, softened whipped cream cheese, vanilla extract," etc.....
It's missing the vanilla extract. Do you mix it in with the cream cheese before adding the cool whip?
thank you in advance.
You do need vanilla, yes. One-two teaspoons (you could use more if you like.)
Can I make my own white chocolate pudding and leave out the half and half? We can’t get that pudding mix in Canada.
I'm sure you could adapt it just keep in mind the volume would need to be the same.
Delicious !!! So easy !
Thanks so much!
Can this dessert be frozen and defrosted later?
You could freeze it, yes. I think you could serve it from frozen, just allow it enough time to soften to cut.
Entire family loved this! I used 4 cups of skim milk instead of heavy cream. Its definitely still sweet and yummy, just not as heavy. I also drizzled caramel topping on bottom for the crust before baking.
THANK YOU so much for the recipe!
Love the addition of caramel, a girl after my own heart. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing! How far ahead of time can I make it?
You can make this one day in advance, if needed.
I do not have whipped cram cheese - would I use2 blocks or just 1 block of cream cheese? I don't want ahave to run store - I have everything else 🙂
Use both, just whip them together until light and fluffy.
Have you tried it with crushed waffle cones instead of vanilla wafer cookies? Just wondering.
Yes, I have, of course. If you choose to do it with crushed waffle cones you'll need about 3 boxes to make this dessert between the topping and the crust. I developed this recipe with wafers because the taste is very close and it's more cost effective.Totally your choice, if you want to go that route.