This super Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie starts with a golden corn bread crust that's topped with plenty of colby jack cheese and smothered with a beefy taco filling. Add your favorite taco toppings before serving then slice and enjoy a festive piece of taco pie for dinner.
Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie
My family is just like yours, they love any Tex-Mex, Mexican or Southwestern inspired food and never get tired of eating it. Taco pie isn't exactly a new idea but, I wanted to show you a quick way to make one that's especially suited for a busy day. If you make the whole recipe in one fell swoop, you'll spend around 30 minutes or so. If you make the filling in advance, you can have this ready in 20 minutes. The prep moves along quickly because the cornbread crust isn't terribly thick and you begin the process on the stovetop. To make the crust and speed the process, melt the butter and heat the iron skillet on the stovetop first then, pour the batter over the melted butter. Place the skillet in the oven to bake while you prepare the taco beef topping. Spread the beef over the crust, sprinkle with cheese then, bake for another 8 minutes. There you have it, dinner in no time flat.
Serve Taco Pie with Your Favorite Taco Toppings
You can serve this to savory pie with all of your favorite taco toppings, depending on your personal taste. I usually have shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes or pico de gallo, jalapenos and guacamole so everyone can build their own. Top each piece with a dollop of sour cream or homemade cilantro lime crema like this recipe from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen, and you'll have a no fuss fiesta-style meal in a snap.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 7.5 oz package yellow corn muffin mix, plus milk to prepare
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef chicken or turkey
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Chili Fixins
- 3 Tbsp quality taco seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp lemon pepper
- 4 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet on the stovetop. Melt the butter in the pan and swirl to coat the sides.
- Meanwhile, mix corn muffin mix with the amount of milk called for on the package. Mix until fully moistened then pour into the hot skillet. Place into the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the cornbread bakes, cook the onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add ground beef to the pan. Cook until no pink remains. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. (The amounts may vary depending on the sodium content of the taco seasoning used} Drain any excess fat from the skillet. Add Rotel tomatoes, taco seasoning, cumin and lemon pepper. Simmer over medium-high until well blended.
- Add the softened cream cheese to the filling, stir until melted through.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Spread the taco meat over the corn bread and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place back into the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes just until the filling is heated through and cheese has melted.