This super Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie recipe starts with a golden corn bread crust that's topped with a beefy taco filling and smothered with plenty of Colby jack cheese. Add your favorite taco fixings before serving then slice and enjoy a festive piece of taco pie for dinner.
Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie Recipe
My family is just like yours, they love any Tex-Mex, Mexican or Southwestern inspired food and never get tired of eating it. Taco pie isn't exactly a new idea, but I wanted to show you a quick way to make one that's especially suited for a busy day. If you make the whole recipe in one fell swoop, you'll spend around 30 minutes. If you make the filling in advance, you can have this ready in 20 minutes. The prep moves along quickly because the cornbread crust isn't terribly thick and you begin the process on the stovetop.
How to Make the Best Cornbread Crusted Taco Pie Recipe
You can serve this to savory beef taco pie with any and all of your favorite taco toppings. I usually have nearby shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes or homemade pico de gallo, sliced jalapenos and guacamole so everyone can build their own. Top each piece with a dollop of sour cream or homemade cilantro lime crema like this recipe from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen, and you'll have a no fuss fiesta-style meal in a snap.
- Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe for homemade Taco Pie: Corn muffin mix, onion, garlic, melted butter, lean ground beef, Rotel Chili Fixin's or classic Rotel tomatoes with green chiles, salt and black pepper, taco seasoning, ground cumin, lemon pepper, shredded Colby jack cheese and chive and onion cream cheese.
- This crust of this taco pie is best made with a cornbread mix that isn't terribly sweet.
- Please note, the cornbread pie crust is baked separately from the beefy taco topping. Once assembled, it goes back into the oven to melt the cheese making this a quick and easy weekday meal option.
- To make the crust and speed up the process, melt the butter and heat the cast iron skillet on the stovetop first. Next, pour the batter over the melted butter. Place the skillet into the oven to bake while you prepare the taco beef topping on the stovetop. Once the crust has baked, spread the taco beef over the crust, sprinkle with cheese and pop back into the oven to bake for another 8 minutes. There you have it, dinner in no time flat.
- You could easily adapt this recipe using pepper jack cheese or shredded cheddar cheese in the same amount.
- I bake this taco pie in a cast iron skillet for the way it browns the crust. You could use any similar size oven safe skillet, pie dish or baking dish.
- To expedite assembly make the ground beef taco filling in advance and chill. It also freezes up to 2 months for make ahead meal prep.
- Store leftover cornbread rusted taco pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in individual portions in the microwave.
More Southern Style Cornbread Recipes to Make
Cornbread forms the crust of this taco pie and it's a classic match made in heaven. More cornbread recipes you may like to try:
- Individual size Cornbread Muffins to go with soup, pinto beans, chili and game day eats.
- My Broccoli Cheddar Cornbread Muffins will have the kiddos eating their veggies and loving it!
- Hot Water Cornbread is a humble dish that uses basic pantry ingredients to make.
- Chicken Taco Green Chile Cornbread is a complete meal made in a cast iron skillet.
- Turn garden fresh zucchini onto this Zucchini Bacon Cornbread recipe.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Easy Corn Bread Crusted Taco Pie
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 7.5 oz package yellow corn muffin mix, plus milk to prepare
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef chicken or turkey
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Chili Fixins
- 3 tablespoon quality taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet on the stovetop. Melt the butter in the pan and swirl to coat the sides.
- Meanwhile, mix corn muffin mix with the amount of milk called for on the package. Mix until fully moistened then pour into the hot skillet. Place into the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the cornbread bakes, cook the onion in a couple of drizzles of olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add ground beef to the pan. Cook until no pink remains. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. (The amounts may vary depending on the sodium content of the taco seasoning used} Drain any excess fat from the skillet. Add Rotel tomatoes, taco seasoning, cumin and lemon pepper. Simmer over medium-high until well blended.
- Add the softened cream cheese to the filling, stir until melted through.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Spread the taco meat over the corn bread and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place back into the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes just until the filling is heated through and cheese has melted.