If just saying the phrase “birthday cake” makes your heart flutter then this Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle is for you. Cake and sprinkles with lots of whipped cream just screams “party” and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy just to think about that fun day we each get to celebrate every year. What’s a birthday celebration without cake, right? Julia Childs was famous for saying, “A party without cake is a meeting” and I completely concur. This funfetti trifle is how I love to celebrate my own birthday and I can say first hand it’s fun to make and eat.
My Love Of Baking Started Young
It’s no secret I love baking and most often, I choose to bake completely from scratch. It’s a passion in me that was born from the sheer joy of taking simple ingredients from my pantry and turning them into something amazing, just like my Southern momma did and her Mother before her. It’s sort of a long held family tradition. However, I also know there are moments that it’s completely fine to take advantage of convenience items to make life a little easier. I made this birthday cake trifle using my from scratch Old Fashioned Butter Cake recipe. That said, I’ve also prepared this trifle using a cake mix for the cake layers and I must say, it’s pretty fantastic either way.
Why Start With A Plain Cake?
When using a cake mix for this birthday cake trifle I choose not to use the funfetti cake mix as I recommend that you use the same sprinkles in the cake as you use to garnish the cake. Rainbow sprinkles work wonderfully and they are everywhere you look at grocery stores, baking supply and specialty stores as well as big box stores such as Target and Walmart. One cake mix rule of thumb that I live by is; to replace the amount of water called for on the package with buttermilk. It does wonders for the texture of the cake. Also, add an extra egg and vanilla or almond flavoring to give the batter it a bit more flavor. The easy cheesecake mousse in this trifle is simply delicious, too and the ingredients aren’t difficult to find.
Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle
My love of trifles and birthday celebrations combined to make my day even more special this year, and not a spoonful of this crazy delicious birthday cake funfetti trifle was leftover. Trifles are an absolute love of mine and I have many other variations here on my website for you to try. See also a few from friends at the end of this list.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle
- Berry Trifle with White Chocolate Cream
- Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle
- Banana Split Trifle
- Cranberry Trifle
- Turtle Cheesecake Trifle
- Tiramisu Trifle.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle
- 1 15.25 oz box golden butter or vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare. or homemade Old Fashioned Butter Cake
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles plus additional for garnishing
- 2 3.4 oz boxes cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 3 cups half and half or whole milk
- 2 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 16 oz Cool-Whip, thawed or 4 cups sweetened fresh whipped cream
- 6 Birthday Cake Oreo Cookies for garnishing optional
- Prepare the cake per the package instructions using a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Mix 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles into the batter by hand. Bake per the instructions and cool completely. Cool then cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside. (Old Fashioned Butter Cake)
- Using an electric mixer, whip together both packages of pudding mix with 3 cups of half and half in a medium-size mixing bowl. Whip for 2 minutes or just until the pudding is beginning to thicken but is still pourable. Pour into another container. Set aside.
- In the same medium-size mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese with 2 cups whipped topping or fresh whipped cream. Whip just until combined.
- Add the pudding to the whipped creamed cheese mixture. Continue to whip on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth and fully combined.
- Layer the cake and mousse in a 4 quart trifle bowl or large glass bowl beginning with a layer of cake. Divide the cubed cake into thirds and the cheesecake mousse in half. Line the edge of the bowl with cubed cake and roughly crumble the cake in the center.
- Sprinkle each layer of mousse with additional sprinkles.
- Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping, garnish with sprinkles and Oreo cookies, as desired.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftovers chilled.
2) To garnish the top of the trifle as pictured, (1) additional (8) oz container of whipped topping or 2 cups of fresh sweetened whipped cream will be needed.