This colorful Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle recipe is the perfect excuse to party like it’s your birthday any day of the year. This funfetti trifle is a celebration dessert that’s both fun to make and eat.
Easy Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle Recipe
It’s no secret I love baking and most often, I choose to bake completely from scratch. It’s a passion for me that was born from the sheer joy of taking simple ingredients from my pantry and turning them into something amazing. It’s sort of a long held family tradition. I also know there are moments that it’s completely fine to take advantage of convenience items to make life a little easier. That’s where this trifle comes in. If just saying the phrase birthday cake makes your heart flutter then this funfetti trifle is for you. It’s made with layers of cake and sprinkles with lots of whipped cream after all, what’s a celebration without cake, right? Julia Childs was famous for saying, “A party without cake is just a meeting.” I completely concur.
How to Make the Best Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle Recipe
When do you serve a birthday cake trifle? Well first of all, it doesn’t have to be your birthday. You can use this trifle recipe as a dessert for any special occasion from picnics, church and office potlucks, baby and bridal showers, graduation parties, the holidays and more. If it’s a celebration, this funfetti trifle will be the talk of the table. It’s a party in a bowl.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle: One box of golden vanilla or vanilla cake mix, rainbow sprinkles instant cheesecake pudding mix, whole milk or half and half, plain cream cheese, Cool whip and birthday cake Oreo cookies for garnishing.
- When using a cake mix for this birthday cake trifle I choose not to use the funfetti cake mix as I recommend that you use the same sprinkles in the cake as you use to garnish the cake. Should you prefer, you certainly can if you have sprinkles that match.
- I have also made this birthday cake trifle using my from scratch Old Fashioned Butter Cake recipe. That said, it’s perfectly delicious using a cake mix as demonstrated in the recipe for the cake layers. If I say so myself, it’s pretty fantastic either way.
- Rainbow sprinkles work wonderfully and they are everywhere you look. You can find them easily at grocery stores, baking supply and specialty stores, as well as big box stores such as Target and Walmart.
- How do you doctor a cake mix? One cake mix rule of thumb that I live by is; to replace the amount of water called for on the package with buttermilk. It does wonders for the texture of the cake.
- You can also add an extra egg and vanilla or almond flavoring to give the batter it a bit more flavor.
- The easy cheesecake mousse in this trifle is simply delicious and the ingredients aren’t difficult to find.
- You can assemble this trifle one day in advance, then cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Store leftover Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Decadent Southern Trifle Recipes to Make
My love of trifles and birthday celebrations combined to make my day even more special this year, and not a spoonful of this crazy delicious birthday cake funfetti trifle was leftover. Trifles are an absolute love of mine and I have many other variations here on my website for you to try. See also a few from friends at the end of this list.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is perfection filled with the strawberries and cram flavor we love.
- Berry Trifle with White Chocolate Cream is a terrific choice for Patriotic holidays.
- Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle remains a viral Pinterest sensation.
- No worries about melting ice cream when you make a Banana Split Trifle for dessert.
- Turtle Cheesecake Trifle from Mom on Timeout
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle
- 1 15.25 oz box golden butter or vanilla cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles plus additional for garnishing
- 2 3.4 oz boxes cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 3 cups whole milk or half and half
- 2 8 oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 16 oz Cool-Whip, thawed or 4 cups sweetened fresh whipped cream
- 6 Birthday Cake Oreo Cookies for garnishing optional
- Prepare the cake per the package instructions using a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Mix 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles into the batter by hand. Bake per the instructions and cool completely. Cool then cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside. (Old Fashioned Butter Cake)
- Using an electric mixer, whip together both packages of pudding mix with 3 cups whle milk or half and half in a medium-size mixing bowl. Whip for 2 minutes or just until the pudding is beginning to thicken but is still pourable. Pour into another container. Set aside.
- In the same medium-size mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese with 2 cups whipped topping or fresh whipped cream. Whip just until combined.
- Add the pudding to the whipped creamed cheese mixture. Continue to whip on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth and fully combined.
- Layer the cake and mousse in a 4 quart trifle bowl or large glass bowl beginning with a layer of cake. Divide the cubed cake into thirds and the cheesecake mousse in half. Line the edge of the bowl with cubed cake and roughly crumble the cake in the center.
- Sprinkle each layer of mousse with additional sprinkles.
- Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping, garnish with sprinkles and Oreo cookies, as desired.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftovers chilled.
2) To garnish the top of the trifle as pictured, (1) additional (8) oz container of whipped topping or 2 cups of fresh sweetened whipped cream will be needed.