Birthday Cake Funfetti Trifle – Just saying “birthday cake” makes my heart flutter. Go ahead and admit it, it does the same thing for you. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy to think of the special day we each get to celebrate each year. What’s a birthday celebration without cake? Julia Childs was famous for saying, “A party without cake is a meeting.” I completely concur. This trifle is how I chose to celebrate my own birthday this year and it was such an incredible treat.
It’s no secret I love baking and most often, I choose to bake completely from scratch. It’s a passion in me that was born from the sheer joy of taking simple ingredients from my pantry and turning them into something amazing, just like my Mother did and her Mother before her. It’s sort of a long held family tradition. However, I also know there are moments that it’s completely fine to take advantage of convenience items to make life a little easier. I made this birthday cake trifle using my from scratch Old Fashioned Butter Cake recipe. That said, I’ve also prepared this trifle using a cake mix for the cake layers and I must say, it’s pretty fantastic either way.
When using a cake mix for this birthday cake trifle I choose not to use the funfetti cake mix as I recommend that you use the same sprinkles in the cake as you use to garnish the cake. Rainbow sprinkles work wonderfully and they are everywhere you look at grocery stores, baking supply and specialty stores as well as big box stores such as Target and Walmart. One cake mix rule of thumb that I live by is; to replace the amount of water called for on the package with buttermilk. It does wonders for the texture of the cake. Also, add an extra egg and vanilla or almond flavoring to give the batter it a bit more flavor. The easy cheesecake mousse in this trifle is simply delicious, too and the ingredients aren’t difficult to find.
My love of trifles and birthday celebrations combined to make my day even more special this year, and not a spoonful of this crazy delicious birthday cake funfetti trifle was leftover.
You may also like: Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle, Berry Trifle with White Chocolate Cream, Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle, Banana Split Trifle, Cranberry Trifle, Turtle Cheesecake Trifle, Tiramisu Trifle.
- 1 (15,25) oz golden butter or vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare. or homemade Old Fashioned Butter Cake
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles, plus additional for garnishing
- 2 (3.4) oz boxes cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 3 cups half & half or whole milk
- 2 (8) oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16) oz Cool-Whip, thawed or 4 cups sweetened fresh whipped cream
- 6 Birthday cake Oreo cookies for garnishing (optional)
- Prepare the cake per the package instructions using a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Mix ½ cup rainbow sprinkles into the batter by hand. Bake per the instructions and cool completely. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip together both packages of pudding mix with 3 cups of half & half in a medium-size mixing bowl. Whip for 2 minutes or just until the pudding is beginning to thicken but is still pourable. Pour into another container. Set aside.
- In the same medium-size mixing bowl cream together the cream cheese with 2 cups whipped topping or fresh whipped cream. Whip just until combined.
- Add the pudding to the whipped creamed cheese mixture. Continue to whip on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth and fully combined.
- Layer the cake and mousse in a 4 quart trifle bowl or large glass bowl beginning with a layer of cake. Divide the cubed cake into thirds and the cheesecake mousse in half. Line the edge of the bowl with cubed cake and roughly crumble the cake in the center.
- Sprinkle each layer of mousse with additional sprinkles.
- Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping, garnish with sprinkles and Oreo cookies.
- Chill well for at least 4 hours before serving, store leftovers chilled.
2) To garnish the top of the trifle as pictured, (1) additional (8) oz container of whipped topping or 2 cups of fresh sweetened whipped cream will be needed.