This skillet Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken is sweet and flavorful with a hint of Asian flair. It’s perfection served over a bed of rice with a side of steamed vegetables, turning it into a simple weekday feast.
Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
My kitchen is much like yours, chicken rotates on our menu in every conceivable form. Chicken roasted with lemon and rosemary, sliced and layered with bacon and ranch dressing in a salad or turned into casseroles and pizzas. It’s affordable and widely available which no doubt adds to the popularity. While we do love out fried chicken in the South, there are numerous other ways we prepare it on a daily basis.
Helpful Tips for Making Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
- The sauce for this chicken has Asian flair thanks to the teriyaki. You may adjust the amount using more or less to your taste.
- Likewise, if you’re family enjoys sauce, the ingredient amounts easily double.
- This chicken is especially tasty with rice but, is also works well alongside a baked potato, sliced and served on a salad or enjoyed as a sandwich.
- This chicken isn’t heavily breaded. The light dusting of flour gives it just enough of a coating for crunch and, it adds flavor to the dish overall. It also helps soak up the sauce.
- You may adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your taste using less, or more for added heat.
Tips for Storing and Thawing Chicken
It’s extremely important that you learn to handle poultry in a careful manner to prevent bacteria growth due to improper care.
- Perdue recommends freezing chicken within 30 minutes of purchase, when possible.
- Seal packages tightly and label clearly prior to placing into the freezer.
- Thaw frozen chicken in the refrigerator overnight, not on the counter.
- Cook chicken the day it’s thawed.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil additional, as needed
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Whisk together flour, salt and pepper. Dust chicken on all sides.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add chicken and let cook until golden and cooked through, around 6-8 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Adjust depending on thickness. Remove from pan to a platter, keep warm.
- Add butter and garlic to pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute and butter has melted scraping any brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth. Lower heat to medium. Whisk into pan with brown sugar, honey, teriyaki, lime juice, red pepper flakes and ginger. Stir constantly until brown sugar is melted and a sauce forms.
- Add chicken back to pan and spoon sauce over chicken. Simmer 1 minute.
- Serve immediately over cooked rice garnished with green onion.