These Kickin’ Sausage And Cheddar Cheese Muffins make a scrumptious savory addition to your breakfast menu. They’re filled with cooked sausage, seasonings and cheddar cheese that after baking, lends a beautiful golden finish. They make a delicious accompaniment to your morning cuppa joe and are guaranteed to kick start your day.
Kickin’ Sausage And Cheddar Cheese Muffins
This recipe is one that has evolved in my kitchen after I first saw it in Southern Living several years ago. The first time I made these savory muffins, I followed the instructions as described and I thought that they were quite simple to make and tasty. However, I’ve tweaked the original recipe and added a few extra ingredients just to personalize it and make it to my family’s taste. By using the fiesta nacho cheese soup in place of plain cheddar cheese soup, it kicked up the flavors and added an edge but, they’re not overly spicy.
Fun Ways To Personalize
Another way I’ve made these is to use different types of sausage such as andouille or chorizo or pepper jack cheese in place of the cheddar for even more kick. I wanted to share them with you, because they’re an interesting way to change up the breakfast menu a little, and I know what a challenge that can be at times. I’ve also made these in mini muffin tins and served them as appetizers, and for Holiday brunches and tea parties, too. They’re simply scrumptious, and so easy to prepare. Other savory additions to the breakfast menu you might like to try is this Sausage Bread from Love Bakes Good Cakes and Sausage Rolls from Tornadoughalli.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Original recipe credit: Southern Living: Adapted from a 2006 Southern Living recipe.
Kickin' Sausage And Cheddar Cheese Muffins
- 1 lb mild or spicy breakfast sausage
- 3 cup buttermilk baking mix i.e. Bisquick
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne [optional]
- 1 10 3/4 oz can fiesta nacho cheese soup
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray 14 regular sized muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a skillet on the stove top brown the sausage over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, mix together the crumbled sausage, baking mix, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, chopped green onions and seasonings. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soup and buttermilk until no lumps are visible. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix until thoroughly moistened.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese cheese on top.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until lightly golden. Serve immediately.