No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies – These no bake cookies are in my opinion, quite possibly the best of all time. They’ve been whipped up in the kitchens of busy Mom’s and Gramma’s for decades. Their popular not only because of the simplicity of preparation but the ingredients are pantry staples and can be made up in a snap. Then there’s the indisputable fact that there so darn tasty. Another fun twist is these sorts of sweets have all kinds of names. My friend Cheryl shared this recipe with me years ago, and she calls them “Preacher Cookies.”
I’ve heard them called many fun things and I’m betting so have you. While simple to make and with familiar ingredients, I have noted there are variables that effect these cookies at times. For example, begin counting the 2 minute boil time when it starts boiling and not from the melting stage. Also, humidity can effect how they turn out as well as the quality of the ingredients you use. At times I have made these using less than 3 cups of oats as stated in the original recipe, adding until the cookies reach the look as the ones I have pictured. It’s very important to stir like crazy and work quickly.
When my kids requested an impromptu batch, it occurred to me I had never shared them with you. After mastering these delicious blobs of chocolate peanut butter love, it’s really the smile they bring to my kids faces that make them the sweetest for me. Cooking is all about the love anyway, right? In my world, it doesn’t get any better than that.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2½-3 cup quick cooking oats [i.e. Quaker]
- Melt together the butter, milk, cocoa, granulated sugar and salt. Cook over medium-high stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower to medium and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the peanut butter and vanilla, stir constantly until the peanut butter begins to melt.
- Add 2 cup oats, stir until coated and add additional ½ cup at a time. Work quickly.
- Drop using a Tbsp on wax paper. Cool completely.