These No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies are in my opinion, quite possibly one of the best of all time. Also commonly known as preacher cookies, they’ve been whipped up in the kitchens of busy Mom’s and Gramma’s for decades. They’re popular not only because of the simplicity of preparation but, the ingredients are pantry staples and can be made up in a snap. Then there’s the indisputable fact that there so darn tasty making them a family favorite any time of year.
No bake goodies are always a great all-inclusive project. Bite-size treats like crunchy no bake chocolate peanut butter bars and a seasonal variation using cinnamon spice baking chips get the crunch from cereal. These vintage cookies get their texture using oatmeal. I’ve heard them called many fun things and I’m betting so have you. While simple to make and with familiar ingredients, I have noted there are variables that effect these cookies at times. For example, begin counting the 2 minute boil time when it starts boiling and not from the melting stage. Also, humidity can effect how they turn out as well as the quality of the ingredients you use. At times I have made these using less than 3 cups of oats as stated in the original recipe, adding until the cookies reach the look as the ones I have pictured. It’s very important to stir like crazy and work quickly. When my kids requested an impromptu batch, it occurred to me I had never shared them here on my website. After mastering these delicious blobs of chocolate peanut butter love, it’s really the smile they bring to my kids faces that make them the sweetest for me. Cooking is all about the love, right? In my world, it doesn’t get any better than that.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 1/2-3 cup quick cooking oats [i.e. Quaker]
- Melt together the butter, milk, cocoa, granulated sugar and salt. Cook over medium-high stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower to medium and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the peanut butter and vanilla, stir constantly until the peanut butter begins to melt.
- Add 2 cup oats, stir until coated and add additional 1/2 cup at a time. Work quickly.
- Drop using a Tbsp on wax paper. Cool completely.