These delectable Open Faced Egg and Canadian Bacon Rolls are made using dinner rolls. The hollowed out rolls are topped with Colby-jack cheese, Canadian bacon and eggs. They're terrific for a tasty breakfast on the run or "brinner." They're so easy to assemble the kids can help and the best part is; no utensils required!
Individual Open Faced Egg and Canadian Bacon Rolls
I love recipes that make individual serving size portions. If you've been with me a while. you've likely seen my Baked French Eggs, or Loaded Bacon and Egg Hash Brown Muffins and my ever popular Nested Potato skins, just to name a few. Perhaps it's my love of entertaining or the fact that I have children who love to pick-up their food to eat it but, in general my muffin tins get a workout. In thinking about that, I experimented with these hollowed out frozen dinner rolls to see if I could combine the bread with the filling to make a quick sandwich and these open-faced breakfast rolls were the result. They're simple to make and absolutely delicious!
Tips for Making Canadian Bacon Egg Rolls
Being a frugal girl at heart, I like to pop the crumbs that are removed from the center of the rolls back into the freezer to use as fresh breadcrumbs in another recipe, so nothing goes to waste.
- If you've never tried this technique before trust me, you can hollow out a frozen roll. Use a sharp knife and a sawing motion and it will come out easier than you think.
- It's also perfectly fine to allow them to thaw slightly before removing the centers.
- You can make these with medium size or large eggs, just be aware that a large egg may overflow just a bit. It's not the end of the world and the egg will set in the oven so all ends well. If that bothers you go with medium or a smaller version of large eggs.
- Now, we all know Canadian bacon tastes a lot like ham and cut from the same part of the pig that we get pork chops. If you prefer, thinly sliced ham would work beautifully, too.
- These easy little open-faced beauties are sure to become a family favorite on your breakfast table just as they are on mine. See also Caramelized Onion Canadian Bacon and Egg Sandwiches and Canadian Bacon and Havarti Cheese Sliders.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Open Faced Egg and Canadian Bacon Rolls
- 6 frozen dinner rolls i.e. Sister Schuberts
- 2 Tbsp light butter or butter melted
- ⅔ cup shredded colby-jack cheese
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- 6 medium or large eggs See Cook's note
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use a sharp paring knife to hollow out the center from the frozen rolls. Leaving a ½-inch border. Using your fingers press the interior of the rolls as flat as possible. (Pop the centers of the bread into a plastic storage bag and refreeze to use as breadcrumbs for another recipe.).
- Brush the rolls with melted butter reserving some for after baking.
- Sprinkle around 1 tsp of shredded cheese into the bottom of each roll. Top with a single slice of Canadian bacon. Press down.
- Crack the egg into a measuring cup and carefully pour into the center. Don't panic if some overflows.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper to your taste then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preferred level of firmness.
- Brush with remaining butter and serve immediately.