These juicy and tender Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts make a sensational entrée for a weeknight meal. They're super simple to make using bone-in chicken breasts that are rubbed with a simple barbecue paste and baked. During the last few minutes of cooking brush each piece liberally with your favorite sweet and spicy barbecue sauce then place under the broiler to char. The result is finger licking deliciousness.
Best Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts Recipe
I'm a diehard bargain shopper, in every single aspect of life. It's one of those things you have to do when you have expensive taste to be able to afford the things you enjoy. I'm no different when it comes to my grocery budget and often plan our meals solely based on the weekly sale items. So, when split chicken breasts are on sale, that's when I pull out this simple oven technique for roasting saucy barbecue chicken.
How to Make Easy Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts
Add this flavorful barbecue chicken to your easy-to-make dinner rotation. Pair it with your favorite Southern style side dishes and it's a weekday feast.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Barbecue Chicken Breasts: Bone-in chicken breasts, barbecue seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder. barbecue sauce and oil.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A large sheet pan, pastry brush, small bowl and measuring spoons.
- What's the best seasoning for making Southern barbecue chicken in the oven? Keep in mind when making this dish, it will be as flavorful as the BBQ seasoning and barbecue sauce that you choose to use. There are many blends readily available on the spice aisle of most grocery stores. Choose your favorite and you'll be good to go.
- Please note, barbecue rubs and seasonings contain varying amounts of sodium. Consider the amount of sodium in the seasoning you choose to use and adjust the amount of garlic salt using more or less to your taste. You may even opt to use garlic powder or granulated garlic in place of salt, instead.
- Can I use boneless chicken breasts? Yes, but the baking time will be shorter. Bone-in chicken as called for in this recipe takes longer to bake.
- Can I make my own barbecue sauce? Yes, you can! If you like to make homemade sauce, I have a to-die-for Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce recipe here on my website.
- During summer peach season my scrumptious Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grilling Sauce never disappoints.
- Can I bake a whole barbecue chicken or chicken drumsticks in the oven? Absolutely! If the kiddos prefer drumsticks, they'll love my recipe for Honey Teriyaki Chicken using drumsticks, too.
- What side dishes can I serve with baked BBQ Chicken Breasts? There are many classic sides that go well with barbecue. Dishes like Root Beer Baked Beans, Southern Style Cole Slaw and Cornbread Muffins just to name a few.
- Store Barbecue Chicken Breasts chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy cold or gently reheat in an air fryer or microwave.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- You can serve these Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Kabobs as an appetizer or an entree.
- Smothered Asiago Chicken will delight your low carb diners.
- Chicken Fried Chicken with pan gravy.
- Serve up this marinated Grilled Chicken Sandwich for lunch or supper.
- Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken is packed with flavor.
- Lemon Rosemary Roast Chicken is Sunday Supper ready.
- You may also like to try these Honey Barbecue Wings and Cool Ranch from Big Bears Wife for your next game day eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts with skin Around 3-4 lbs
- 3 tablespoon barbecue seasoning plus additional for dusting (i.e.Barbecue Magic or Smokehouse Maple)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt more or less to taste
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce (i.e. Sweet Baby Rays Sweet & Spicy or similar)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment.
- In a small bowl mix together the barbecue seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder and olive oil. Rub on all sides of the chicken breasts. Loosen the skin and rub under the skin. Dust the tops with additional seasoning, if desired.
- Place chicken on the baking pan and into the oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drain liquid from the pan. Use tongs to lift pieces then brush liberally on all sides with barbecue sauce.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Increase the oven to broil and char the sauce onto the chicken. Don't walk away.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes then serve.