These juicy and tender Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts make a sensational entree for a weeknight meal. They’re super simple to make using bone-in chicken breasts that are rubbed with a simple barbecue paste then baked. During the last few minutes of cooking brush liberally with your favorite sweet and spicy BBQ sauce then char under the broiler. Finger licking deliciousness.
I’m a diehard bargain shopper, in every single aspect of life. It’s one of those things you have to do when you have expensive taste to be able to afford the things you enjoy. I’m no different when it comes to my grocery budget and often plan our meals solely based on the weekly sale items. So, when split chicken breasts are on sale, that’s when I pull out this simple oven technique for roasting saucy BBQ chicken. Keep in mind when making this dish, it will be as flavorful as the BBQ seasoning and sauce you choose to use. Also, consider the mount of sodium in the seasoning and adjust the garlic salt up or down accordingly. If you like to make homemade sauce, I have a to-die-for Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce here on my website and during peach season my scrumptious Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grilling Sauce never disappoints. If the kiddos prefer drumsticks, they’ll love my Sticky Maple Barbecue Chicken, too.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Oven BBQ Chicken Breasts
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts with skin Around 3-4 lbs
- 3 heaping Tbsp barbecue seasoning plus additional for dusting (i.e.Barbecue Magic or Smokehouse Maple)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce (i.e. Sweet Baby Rays Sweet & Spicy or similar)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment.
- In a small bowl mix together the barbecue seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder and olive oil. Rub on all sides of the chicken breasts. Loosen the skin and rub under the skin. Dust the tops with additional seasoning, if desired.
- Place chicken on the baking pan and into the oven. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drain liquid from the pan. Use tongs to lift pieces then brush liberally on all sides with barbecue sauce.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Increase the oven to broil and char the sauce onto the chicken. Don't walk away.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes then serve.