There's no reason to fret when you run out, you can enjoy all the same flavors in this Samoa Ice Box Pie. Those girl scout cookies inspired this pie for those times when they aren't available. The best part? No baking is required.
Helpful Tips for Making Samoa Ice Box Pie
Don't you love it when the Girl Scouts start making the rounds with those delectable Samoa cookies? This pie is meant to be a way to enjoy those same flavors year-round. Once you assemble the ingredients, it's a breeze to put this cookie-inspired ice box pie together. I've prepared it several ways using a cookie crust, a chocolate cookie crust and a graham cracker crust. All three are fantastic, so adapt using your preference. It's filled with toasted coconut, caramel and chocolate deliciousness and takes very little effort to make. Support those cute little Girl Scouts and keep this one tucked away for those days when the cookie jar is running on empty.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Now, you may be asking, what in the world is dulce de leche? Dulce de Leche is a luscious thick caramel made from reducing sweetened condensed milk. It's readily available in most grocery stores in the Hispanic foods section and specialty food stores such as World Market and William-Sonoma. If desired, a thick ice cream topping could be substituted in its place.
Other Ice Box Pies to Add to the Dessert Menu
We love ice box pies and I have several variations in the recipe index. Whatever your pleasure be it Red Velvet Ice Box Pie, or citrus infused Lemon Ice Box Pie or candy bar filled Butterfinger Pie you can't go wrong. You m ayh also like this decadent Chocolate Icebox Pie from Sugar Spun Run.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Samoa Ice Box Pie
- 1 9 inch premade deep dish cookie, chocolate cookie or graham cracker pie crust
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 14 oz can dulce de leche, plus ¼ cup [See Cook's note]
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed or 2 cup fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 1 ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut toasted and cooled
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- 5 Tbsp heavy cream divided plus additional as needed to thin
- Preheat the oven to broil and move the rack to the upper third of the oven. Spread the coconut onto a cookie sheet. Toast for 5-8 minutes, stirring often until golden brown. Cool completely
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip together the softened cream cheese, 14 oz can of dulce de leche and vanilla. Whip for 2 minutes or until fluffy and light golden brown in color.
- Add the whipped cream beating with a hand mixer until fully combined. Spread into the pie shell.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place ¼ cup of dulce de leche with 2 Tbsp heavy cream. In a separate microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and 3 Tbsp heavy cream.
- Melt each in the microwave, in 20 second increments, stopping to stir. Repeat the process until completely smooth. Add additional cream if needed to thin for drizzling.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the filling and drizzle with the melted caramel and chocolate. Chill for at least 4 hours or until set.