Slow Cooked Spanish Chicken With Chorizo Spiced Rice - This Spanish inspired slow cooked chicken with chorizo sausage spiced rice uses chorizo sausage to add amazing flavor to the dish overall. It's a slow cooked casserole with Spanish flair. I know many who love slow cooking prefer no-fuss preparation. This dish does require some prep work but it's all about adding flavor which makes it's worth it in the end.
See it at Whatcha Crockin'? here
Slow Cooked Spanish Chicken With Chorizo Spiced Rice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ lb fresh chorizo sausage links casing removed
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 [10 ¾ oz] can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 [10 ¾ oz] can cream of chicken soup
- 1 [14 oz] can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups mild/medium/hot salsa [your preference]
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 [8 oz] box yellow rice [i.e. Zatarain's]
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded Monterey-Jack cheese or Spanish Manchego Cheese
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- In a stove top pan, saute the diced onion and peppers in a couple of drizzles of olive oil over medium high heat until they begin to turn translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the crumbled sausage and saute until the sausage is completely cooked.
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, lemon pepper and oregano. Mix well. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same bowl, mix in the soups, chicken broth, salsa, melted butter, chopped cilantro or pesto, and uncooked rice. Whisk together until completely combined then pour the entire mixture into the slow cooker.
- In the same stove top pan over medium high heat, brown both sides of the chicken breasts in a tablespoon of olive oil. [This step takes advantage of the spice and flavor left behind by the cooked chorizo] Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Do not overcook.
- Arrange the browned chicken on top of the rice and place the lid on top.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 5 ½-6 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with additional salsa, pesto, and top with the shredded Manchego or Monterey-Jack cheese before serving.