Slow Cooked Spanish Chicken and Rice
This Spanish inspired slow cooked chicken with chorizo sausage spiced rice uses chorizo sausage to add amazing flavor to the dish overall. It's a slow cooked casserole with Spanish flair. I know many who love slow cooking prefer no-fuss preparation. This dish does require some prep work but it's all about adding flavor which makes it's worth it in the end.
The Perfect Condiment for Slow Cooked Spanish Chicken and Rice
For this dish I used homemade cilantro pesto that I had on hand to add a richness to the dish. I also serve it on the side as a fresh condiment on the side. Not to worry, chopped fresh cilantro will work very well, too. It's a beautiful flavorful dish to make for dinner, guaranteed to warm you up on a chilly evening, but, meant to be enjoyed anytime of year.
Helpful Tips for Making
- It can be tricky making rice in the slow cooker but, it's not hard to do. If you're able to give it a stir halfway through it will help the rice to cook evenly.
- In keeping with the Spanish them I chose to use Manchego cheese. You could use whatever cheese you like for this recipe or what cheese you have on hand.
- Boneless skinless chicken pieces work best for this recipe. You could use bone-in chicken but, the skin should be removed and it will take longer to cook.
- Other slow cooker recipes you may enjoy is this Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Vegetables and Slow Cooked Chicken and Dumplings.
- See it at Whatcha Crockin'? here
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ lb fresh chorizo sausage links casing removed
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 [10 ¾ oz] can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 [10 ¾ oz] can cream of chicken soup
- 1 [14 oz] can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups mild/medium or hot salsa [use your preference]
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 [8 oz] box yellow rice [i.e. Zatarain's]
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded Monterey-Jack cheese or Spanish Manchego Cheese
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.
- In a stove top pan, saute the diced onion and peppers in a couple of drizzles of olive oil over medium high heat until they begin to turn translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the crumbled sausage and saute until the sausage is completely cooked.
- Add the minced garlic, cumin, lemon pepper and oregano. Mix well. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- In the same bowl, mix in the soups, chicken broth, salsa, melted butter, chopped cilantro or pesto, and uncooked rice. Whisk together until completely combined then pour the entire mixture into the slow cooker.
- In the same stove top pan over medium high heat, brown both sides of the chicken breasts in a tablespoon of olive oil. [This step takes advantage of the spice and flavor left behind by the cooked chorizo] Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Do not overcook.
- Arrange the browned chicken on top of the rice and place the lid on top.
- Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 5 ½-6 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with additional salsa, pesto, and top with the shredded Manchego or Monterey-Jack cheese before serving.
Canned/dry packet cheese soup is not available here so what could I use as a substitute? Maybe add cheese instead but if so how much? Or a different canned soup? Thankyou, Marie
You could likely adapt with any cheese dip product and have success. Sure, feel free to use another flavor of soup and add 1 or 2 cups of cheese, if you prefer.