This Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna is guaranteed to take family taco night to a whole new level. Tostadas form the "lasagna" noodles and the gooey layers are filled with everything we all love about Southwestern cooking. Rotisserie chicken, taco sauce, a dreamy cream cheese layer. black beans, corn and of course, lots of gooey cheese.
Easy Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna Recpe
My family is no different than yours, they're always challenging me to come up with different dishes to get them to the table. As a Mom, I'm always keenly aware of getting them to eat their vegetables as freely as they reach for other delicious but, not-as-good-for-them-stuff. Being fans of all things spicy Southwestern, Tex-Mex and Mexican food is always a hot favorite.
How to Make the Best Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna: Rotisserie chicken, tostadas or corn tortillas, Rotel Chili Fixin's tomatoes, garlic salt, chive and onion cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, taco sauce, fresh or frozen corn, black beans, shredded quesadilla cheese or monterey jack cheese, chopped cilantro and salsa sour cream and green onions for serving.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A large bowl, measuring cups and spoons, large rubber spatula, 13 x 9 inch baking dish and cheese grater.
- Tostadas versus Corn Tortillas: I began making this variation of lasagna using tostada shells and we liked it so much I continued using them instead of corn tortillas for layering. If you prefer, you could use corn tortillas in the same amount to form the "noodles" in this Southwestern version of lasagna.
- Rotel Chili Fixin's tomatoes are already seasoning for chili. You can use classic Rotel tomatoes with green chiles or use another brand of chili ready tomatoes. When making that change, please note that you may need to adjust the seasonings otherwise, adding more taco seasoning to your taste.
- You can use mild, medium or spicy taco sauce in this recipe depending on your personal preference.
- You can use colby jack cheese or cheddar cheese in the same amount.
- Serve this straight from the oven with salsa, a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of crema and it's a one-dish-meal they'll come running for when the dinner bell rings.
- Store baked Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a 350°F oven covered with foil just until heated through.
More Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes to Make
I love a chicken casserole for supper any night of the week. More chicken casserole recipes you may also like to try:
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole is always a family pleaser.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Noodle Casserole is easy enough for a weeknight but impressive enough for company.
- Crockpot Chicken and Dressing Casserole is comfort food done right.
- Rotel Chicken Spaghetti is packed with flavor.
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta is made on the stovetop.
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet is delicious and satisfying.
- One Pot Chicken Cacciatore from Simply Stacie.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Rectangular Baking Dish
- Professional Salad Shooter
- Non Slip Mixing Bowls
- Colorful Shallow Stoneware Salad/Dessert Dish Set
Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna
- 3 cups roughly chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Chili Fixins'
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 16 oz medium taco sauce
- 18 Tostadas
- 1 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn divided
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and divided
- 3 cups shredded quesadilla or Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro optional
- Assorted toppings: Sour cream salsa, green onion
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together the chopped chicken, tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic salt. Set aside.
- Drizzle ¼ cup taco sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Arrange 6 tostada shells over the sauce overlapping where necessary.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the cream cheese and sour cream. Spread ½ over the tostadas.
- Top with ½ of the chicken mixture, ½ cup black beans and ½ cup corn. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Repeat with 6 tostadas, cream cheese, chicken, black beans and corn. Cover with 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Cover the second layer with 6 tostadas. Pour the taco sauce on top covering completely. Top with remaining shredded cheese. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
- Rest for 5 minutes then serve with salsa, sour cream and green onion.
Can you make this ahead or will the tostados be bad?
You can assemble this in advance and bake just before serving, sure.
What are Rotel Chili Fixins? And I don’t see the quantity of tomatoes in the ingredient list.
The quantity is in the ingredients list. it calls for a 10 ounce can. These are tomatoes seasoned for chili.
Can corn tortillas be used instead of hard tostadas ?
If you prefer.
Are the tostados you buy hard or soft?