Sweet And Spicy Cajun Wings – I made these sweet and spicy Cajun wings for our Superbowl eats, and they were gone in a flash! When I was planning our menu, I knew wings would be at the top of the list. Hoping to avoid deep frying, I decided to oven fry the wings. There was only one problem. In the past, I’ve had pretty mediocre results oven frying. The flavor was certainly there, but, the wings lacked the crispy skin they would normally have if they had been deep fried. I remembered an article I read a while ago, that went into great scientific detail about how to achieve crispy oven fried wings. I thought it was interesting, and I was intrigued that the wings would be crispy without an ounce of extra oil. [article here]
Sweet And Spicy Cajun Wings
- 4 lbs wing portions
- 2-3 Tbsp Cajun seasoning [I used Mr. Pete's use more or less to your taste]
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups hot sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Annie Chuns Korean Sweet & Spicy Sauce [see cook's note]
- 1/2-1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- To prep the wings: Mix together the seasoning blend [Cajun seasoning plus baking powder] and rub onto all sides of the wings.
- Lay the wings in a single layer on a pan and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- To prepare: Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spritz with cooking spray. [I usually cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up]
- Arrange the wings in a single layer on the baking sheet, and spritz the top side with cooking spray, then lightly sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes, then turn and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- After the wings are cooked through, increase the oven temperature to broil. Brush the wings with the sauce, and broil on each side for 2-3 minutes until they begin to char.
- Remove to a platter, brush with additional sauce and serve. Use leftover sauce on the side.
- To make the sauce: While the wings are cooking, mix together the sauce ingredients.
- Simmer the sauce over low heat in a heavy bottomed sauce pan until reduced by approximately 1/3.