Serve these Sweet and Spicy Cajun Wings for parties, tailgating, snacking and entertaining any time of year. The sweet and spicy flavor combination is a winner no matter when it's served.
Sweet and Spicy Cajun Wings Recipe
How to Cook Wings without Oil
- Step one was leaving the wings uncovered in the refrigerator for several hours to allow the skin to lose some moisture before baking.
- Step two, was adding baking powder to the spice rub to change the ph balance, thus rendering fat and creating a crispy skin. The end result would be crispy oven fried wings. It actually worked quite well.
- Add a batch of homemade blue cheese dip to the menu for dipping.
So, we enjoyed crispy oven fried wings basted in a sweet and spicy sauce without having to pull out the deep fryer. It was glorious and I was able to prepare the wings and sauce, and enjoy the game with my family.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sweet and Spicy Cajun Wings
- 4 lbs wing portions
- 2-3 Tbsp Cajun seasoning adjust amount to your taste
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- For the sauce:
- 1 ½ cups hot sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup Annie Chuns Korean Sweet & Spicy Sauce or similar Asian barbecue sauce [see Cook's note]
- ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- To prep the wings: Mix together Cajun seasoning and baking powder. Rub onto all sides of the wings.
- Lay the wings in a single layer on a pan and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight for at least 8 hours.
- Mix together hot sauce, butter, honey, Korean bbq sauce and Cajun seasoning in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Simmer over low heat while wings bake until reduced by approximately ⅓.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil. sprayed with cooking spray.
- Arrange wings in a single layer on baking sheet. Spray top side with cooking spray, then lightly sprinkle with additional Cajun seasoning.
- Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. Use tongs to turn then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- After the wings are cooked through, increase the oven temperature to broil. Brush wings with the sauce. Broil on each side for 2-3 minutes until charred.
- Remove to a platter, brush with additional sauce and serve. Use leftover sauce on the side.