Bacon Wrapped Top Sirloin Medallions – Grilling is a year-round activity at our house. While I enjoy grilling most anything, grilling bacon wrapped steak is a bonefide treat. When it comes to grilling a prime cut of beef I think that simpler seasonings are the best giving the beef center stage. Even though it’s gilding the lily, I wrap these thick sirloin medallions in thick cut bacon to add a bit of smoke. Bacon is never a bad idea, right?
As far as seasoning, when my kitchen garden is in it’s prime I can’t resist making all sorts of flavored basting concoctions and fresh rosemary is the star in this butter basting sauce. There’s nothing like going straight from the plant to the plate, it’s magnificent. The garlic rosemary butter adds such incredible flavor to these sirlion medallions and the rosemary is growing only feet from my kitchen counter. I love it!
I’ve given grilling time guidelines in the recipe, and I recommend you don’t grill this particular cut past medium for the best results. Adjust to your liking, of course. Keep in mind it’s a rather lean cut of beef so over cooking it will ruin it. A homemade steak dinner is a wonderful way to spend a Saturday night at home enjoying lively conversation and reconnecting after a busy week. Add a baked potato with all the fixins, a big fresh salad and a basket of homemade garlic bread and you can enjoy restaurant eats at your own kitchen table.
Bacon Wrapped Top Sirloin Medallions
- 6  oz 2-inch thick top sirloin fillets
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- toothpicks soaked in water
- Wrap each sirloin fillet with a strip of bacon. Secure with toothpicks.
- Season each steak lightly with kosher salt and black pepper. Brush on all sides with the seasoned butter.
- Oil the grates of a gas grill and preheat to 450°F.
- Sear the steak on one side grilling for 3 minutes. Rotate the steak 1/4 turn and sear for an additional 3 minutes.
- Turn and repeat with the other side. Sear for 3 minutes, then make a 1/4 turn and grill for an additional 3 minutes. Continue to baste on all sides with the seasoned butter.
- Grill for 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, 8-10 minutes per side for medium. Adjust timing to your preference
- Remove to a platter and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks prior to serving.
Soak the toothpicks in water for 15 minutes prior to inserting into the steaks to prevent burning.