The flavor of this Homemade French Onion Dip is over the top. The sweet, caramelized onions are combined with sour cream and a touch of mayonnaise as well as a secret ingredient to give this classic an updated flavor. Toss in a few seasonings and the only thing left to do is grab a bag of chips and invite some friends over for a fun filled movie night.
Homemade French Onion Dip Recipe
Back in the day, you'd be hard pressed to attend any sort of event without a big batch of French onion dip on the table with lots of chips for dipping. We've all had it, the classic French onion dip recipe that usually begins with dry onion soup that's mixed into sour cream then chilled until the flavors develop and combine. This vintage dip was made popular in a time when recipes from friends were handwritten on recipe cards and shared with one another.
How to Make the Best French Onion Dip Recipe
When breaking down the ingredients to make this homemade version, I wanted to find a way to enjoy this classic vintage dip and also update it a bit bringing it forward without using dry soup mix.
- Ingredients you'll need to make easy French Onion Dip Recipe: Sweet onions i.e. Vidalia or similar, sugar, salt, butter, apple cider vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, chive and onion cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt and black or white pepper.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A deep pot or large skillet, a sharp knife and chopping board, measuring cups and spoons, a large spoon for stirring plus a mixing bowl to mix everything together. You'll need a hand mixer to whip together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese and seasonings, then fold the caramelized onions in by hand.
- The caramelized onions are the beginning of all things wonderful in this easy dip recipe and they're cooked on the stovetop until golden, sweet and intensified in flavor. While it does take some time to do so, it's well worth the small amount of effort it takes.
- Once you've combined all of the ingredients, add the caramelized onions then cover and chill the onion dip overnight until go-time. It doesn't get any easier than that.
- Serve this dip with potato chips, crostini or crackers for dipping.
- Store homemade French Onion Dip chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Southern Style Dip Recipes to Make
Dips are consummate party food regardless of the gathering. You'll find them at black tie events to casual backyard cookouts and game day parties with family and friends. More easy dip recipes you may like to make:
- Kicking Shrimp Dip comes together in minutes for an impressive start to any meal.
- Million Dollar Dip is filled with bacon, toasted almonds and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Baked Three Cheesesteak Dip is a riff on classic cheesesteaks with plenty of gooey cheese to go around.
- Baked Mexican Fiesta Dip is ready for dipping with vegetables or tortilla chips.
- Light and fresh Cucumber Dill Dip.
- You might also like to try this Dill Pickle Egg Salad Dip from 365 Days of Baking and more.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Homemade French Onion Dip
- 3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon apple cider or balsamic vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoon garlic salt divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 8 oz container chive & onion cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon green onion or fresh chives for garnishing optional
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook together the chopped onions, butter, vinegar, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and sugar.. Cook over medium high until the butter melts, then lower the heat to low. Cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally until browned and caramelized.
- Using a hand mixer whip together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, 1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix in the caramelized onions by hand until fully combined
- Place into an air tight container and chill overnight.
- Garnish with chopped green onion or fresh chives, if desired.