This white bean Chicken Chili with chorizo is packed with vibrant colors and flavor. Serve it with tortilla chips or cornbread for a filling meal the family is sure to request time and time again.
White Bean Chicken Chili
I love the many faces of chili. Whether it’s classic red chili with beans and ground beef, chili tossed with macaroni turning it into chili mac or Texas-style chili featuring tender beef chunks sans beans, simmered in a rich sauce. Chili that’s similar to this recipe for chunky beef chili from My Recipes. Whatever the form, it’s a winning dinner choice for my boys.
Tips for Making Chicken Chili
It’s important to note, the ingredient list for this chili may seem long but, most of it you likely already have on hand in your pantry.
- This chicken chili gets it’s kick from the combination of fresh peppers and chili powder. The amounts for both may be adapted to suit your taste.
- Corn balances the heat and adds a nice texture to the chili overall. That said, you may omit, if you prefer.
- Cilantro is one of those herbs that people tend to either love or hate. We’re in the love category but again, if you’re sensitive to the flavor, you can omit.
- The flavor of this chili seems to become even more robust the day after it’s made giving leftovers a real boost.
Dishes to Serve with Chicken Chili
You can top this chili with any variety of toppings you enjoy. We’re partial to the classics, sour cream, avocado or guacamole and cheese, of course. A skillet of cornbread is also a delicious option for serving on the side.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
White Chicken Chili
- 1/2 lb ground chorizo sausage, casings removed
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 15 oz cans white beans i.e. cannellini or navy beans drained
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken broth
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano OR 1 tsp dry Italian oregano
- 1 tsp salt may adjust to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium lime juiced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips for serving
- In a 6 quart dutch oven or similar, cook the chorizo in a few drizzles of olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until no pink remains. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion, poblano and jalapeno to the pan. Cook over medium-high for 3-5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute longer.
- To the pot add beans, broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and lime juice. Mix well. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, add corn, chicken and chorizo. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add cilantro at the end of cooking.
- Serve garnished with diced avocado, tomatoes, sour cream and tortilla chips.